Graduate K-12 Computer / Technology Endorsement
The Graduate K-12 Computer / Technology Endorsement is intended for teachers who wish to serve as a technology integration mentor / facilitator for colleagues in their schools and districts. The endorsement is obtained through an application process to the Ohio Department of Education and upon approval will be added to your teaching license.
This endorsement is only available to individuals who currently have or who are simultaneously getting an initial Ohio license/certificate (e.g. in Early Childhood, Middle Level Science, Adolescent/Young Adult Social Studies, etc.). This endorsement can be completed with a Master's Degree in Instructional Technology in the Department of Educational Foundations and Leadership. However, students may apply for the admission as a non-degree seeking student to take the required courses of the technology endorsement if they are not active in the master degree program at The University of Akron. Individual school districts, not the State of Ohio or The University of Akron, determine the extent to which the endorsement is applicable to their needs and requirements.
Applicants wishing to pursue a Master’s degree in Educational Foundations emphasizing Instructional Technology must apply to the Graduate School for admission into the program. Once the required courses of the master degree are completed, the applicants may start the application process of the Technology Endorsement.
Applicants who are not active in the master degree at the University of Akron and wishing to pursue only the Technology Endorsement must apply to the Graduate School as a non-degree seeking student (for admission into the program. Once the required courses of the technology endorsement are completed, the applicants may start the application process of the Technology Endorsement.
Since the Master Program of Instructional Technology is an online program, all the courses are offered online. Applicants may refer to the tuition and fees here.
Applying for the Graduate K-12 Computer Technology Facilitation Endorsement
- Download the Technology Facilitation Endorsement Form - Word format - PDF format
- Enter your name and the semester/grade information on the form.
- Check your transcripts to determine if you have completed the required courses within the required time limitation of 6 years.
- Scan and send a copy of the form to Dr. I-Chun Tsai electronically, or take a hard copy to the Educational Foundations and Leadership Office.
- Approval will require that the eportfolio be completed. (Only applies to students who are in the IT Master's Program.)
- Apply for the correct Endorsement using the instructions on the Licensure and Certification website. An electronic copy of your teaching license will be required.
- Submit all the application materials as directed.
Required Courses for the Graduate K-12 Computer/Technology Endorsement
- Coursework needs to have been completed in the past 6 years to qualify for the endorsement.
- If you received the Instructional Technology Master's Degree from The University of Akron in 2002 or after, please contact Dr. I-Chun Tsai for additional requirements (coursework at UAkron) in order to obtain the endorsement.
|5150:610||Introduction to Instructional Technology||3|
|5150:614||Planning for Technology||3|
|5150:632||Web-Based Learning Systems||3|
|5150:638||Integrating and Implementing Technology||3|
|18 semester hours required||3|
Ohio Assessment for Educators
The Ohio Department of Education has added a required OAE (Ohio Assessment for Educators) for the K-12 Computer/Technology Endorsement. More information is available here