Just for Trainees
University of Akron Department of Counseling students in the following specialty areas are trained at the Clinic:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Counseling Psychology
- Counselor Education
- Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy
- School Counseling
Supervised experiences include: Rapport/empathy skills, clinical assessment skills, development of treatment plans, refinement of mental health treatment approaches, documentation skills, referral/consultation skills, and ethical decision-making.
The Clinic incorporates all College of Education pillars of academic success: knowledge, technology, diversity and ethics.
- Knowledge – Students are trained in the art and science of mental health using the most up-to-date information and skills available. Students are continuously encouraged in an environment of inquiry and independent decision-making.
- Technology – Education occurs using the most advanced technology available, including state-of-the-art computerized supervision equipment, electronic documentation, and an electronic scheduling system.
- Diversity – Client, student, and supervisor diversity is highly valued. According to the College of Education’s diversity vision, “although diversity connotes difference, diversity is inclusiveness. It embraces but is not limited to race, ethnicity, sex/gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, social class, age, national/geographic origin, language, religious beliefs, exceptionalities, and other unique personal characteristics. By building a College community that values diversity and academic excellence – which we hold as inseparable – we are continually renewed and enriched.”
- Ethics – Ethical decision-making is viewed as the foundation of professionalism. The Clinic promotes both aspirational (ideal or visionary) and prescriptive (concrete or rule-based) ethical standards. The Clinic abides by state/federal laws and national ethical codes addressing mental health practice, supervision/training, and research.
View the Clinic
View pictures of our Clinic and training facilities
Trainee Online Resources
American Counseling Association
ACA Insurance Trust
1-800-347-6647, Ext. 284
American Psychological Association
APA Insurance Trust
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists
CPH and Associates
www.aamft.org (use AAMFT Search engine)
American School Counselors National Professional Group
CLINIC FOR INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY COUNSELING
Dr. Rebecca Boyle, Director
The Clinic is located in the C.P. and Cornelia Chima Family Center on The University of Akron campus.
27 S. Forge Street, 2nd Floor
Akron, OH 44325
Phone: (330) 972-6822
Fax: (330) 972-5599