A partnership between The University of Akron College of Education, (UA) and Akron Summit Community Action, Inc. (ASCA), Akron Ready Steps (ARS) is a program that serves over 300 at risk children in five Head Start sites in high poverty communities in Akron, OH.
Program goals address
- high priority knowledge and skills preschoolers need to learn;
- high priority knowledge and skills teachers/teacher assistants need to teach;
- the design of high quality 21st century language and literacy-rich environments;
- active parent engagement; and
- mobilizing the community around strong preschool literacy education.
Learn more about Akron Ready Steps by visiting our website.
Listing of Akron Ready Steps Press Coverage
- 8/10/2012 - Akron Beacon Journal
- 5/13/2012 - Chicago Tribune
- 6/1/2011 - School Library Journal
Listing of Research Publications from Akron Ready Steps
- Roskos, K., Burstein, K., & You, B. (2012). A Typology for Observing Children’s Engagement with eBooks at Preschool. The Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 11(2). Retrieved from http://www.ncolr.org/issues/jiol/v11/n2/a-typology-for-observing-children-s-engagement-with-ebooks-at-preschool#.UG8a7xgn3Rw
- Roskos, K., Burstein, K., You, B., Brueck, J., & O’Brien, C. (2011). A formative study of an e-book instructional model in early literacy. Creative Education, 2(1). Retrieved from http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=4458
- Roskos, K., Brueck, J. & Widman, S. (2009). Developing Analytic Tools for e-Book Design in Early Literacy Learning. The Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 8(3). Retrieved from http://www.ncolr.org/jiol/issues/pdf/8.3.3.pdf