Lots of information you need to know before attending Saturday morning. Please read carefully and follow the directions.
Registration and Day of the Event:
- The iPad Symposium is this Saturday, 8:00 AM – 4 PM at the Student Union on UA campus.
- Download this parking pass. Please print, fold in half and place on your car's dashboard.
- IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO UA IN A WHILE, THE CAMPUS HAS CHANGED. ***Please*** take a few minutes and acquaint yourself with directions for parking and to the Student Union: http://tinyurl.com/8ufkzec.
- There will be two registration tables: A-K (outside room 335) and L-Z (outside room 312).
- Registration begins at 8:00 AM, Welcome begins at 8:20 AM. Go into your registration room by 8:20 for brief presenter introductions.
- All announcements during the day, breaking information, resources, information about the symposium will be posted on our official iPad Symposium page. Please bookmark this on your iPad right now: http://center-for-literacy.blogspot.com/p/ipad-symposium-2013.html. Check this site throughout the day.
- BONUS! At registration you will be given a raffle ticket. Throughout the day, we will be raffling a number of prizes. To be eligible:
- LIKE the Center for Literacy Facebook page and become our friend.
- Check your ticket number on our official Symposium page or Facebook throughout the day
- You must be present to win
- There will be QR codes posted all around the third floor at the Student Union. Download the RedLaser app or any scanner app to be able to read our codes.
- You have 50 minutes to re-fuel your body and spirit before the afternoon workshops. In the Student Union, Subway and Starbucks will be open for lunch business. Across the street on Exchange Street you can choose from McDonalds, Taco Bell, Zee's Grill, or BW3. There are other restaurants on Main Street that are a drive-away. Since your time is precious, maybe pack a lunch and eat outside on our beautiful campus.
- Charge your iPads before Saturday morning.
- You will be using the free wireless network called "ConnectAkron"
The Computer Store at The University of Akron
- The Computer Store has a special promotion just for iPad Symposium participants! They've created coupons that will be good for $30 off any iPad and $100 off any Mac computer. (The coupons are for individual purchases only. They can’t honor the coupon with any UA departmental orders.) You will receive your coupons at registration.
- The Computer Store is usually closed on the weekends but they are going to open the store noon to 5pm for us! Thank you Computer Store.
- Download the syllabus and registration form for graduate credit. Fill out the form and email it to Sue Petsche (if you want to pay by credit card) or bring it to the Symposium (if you want to pay by check).
- I am the "representative" as mentioned on the syllabus and will be collecting the Attendance Logs at 4:00 PM.
APPS and Evaluating Apps
- Notice on the iPad Symposium Session & Schedule there are Apps listed below each workshop. These are the apps the presenter is using in the workshop. For example, in 3. Creating and Editing Student Video on the iPad, Eric Siler needs you to download iMovie before attending his workshop. And Paula Deal in 2. Apps for the Common for needs you to Download the Common Core Standards and Subtext apps. Now, if 70 people try to download the CCSS app at the same time in Paula's workshop, we might not have a good experience. This is an excellent case for "PPPPP" (prior planning prevents poor performance :-) PLEASE download the apps you need for the workshops you want to take prior to attending the symposium. Your pre-planning will help make the symposium a successful day for everyone.
- If you want to access the schedule at the symposium on Google Docs at the conference download the Google Drive App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-drive/id507874739?mt=8
- At the iPad Symposium, you will have exposure to MANY apps, several of which may cost money. Before you spend, or even download the free version, you might want to consider how apps best fit into your instructional practice. Attached is a Critical Evaluation of a Content-Based Mobile App from Kathy Schrock.
- I met with the presenters last night. They are the most incredible group of professionals I know… so much fun, talented, knowledgeable. At the symposium, please pick their brains, ask questions, find out what they do, and be good participants. Don't just sit back – get involved and have fun.
- I will be floating around the conference, helping out wherever I can. If there is anything I can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to contact me.