Ohio STEM Learning Network - Akron Hub
What is the Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN)?
The Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN) is a unique collaborative initiative focused on building and connecting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) teaching and learning capacity in regions across Ohio. OSLN is built from a consortium of committed partners from pre-K-12 education, higher education, business, government and industry, and is focused on student and teacher success.
What is an OSLN Hub?
OSLN Hubs serve as regional centers of STEM activity. Built around a STEM platform school, Hubs follow the principle that STEM education and creative thinking benefit the region. OSLN Hubs, such as the one in Akron, amplify connections with entities invested in STEM and coordinate collaborations so that STEM education efforts can be leveraged throughout the region.
OSLN Akron Hub Vision Statement
The OSLN Akron Hub vision is to build, capture and connect the disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) while leveraging partnerships in alignment with economic development priorities.
OSLN Akron Hub Goals
- Build awareness and knowledge of STEM
STEM programs include the arts, 21st century skills and real-life experiences delivered in engaging learning environments
- Amplify and accelerate the reach and impact of the STEM platform school’s best practices
Best practices include people, tools and networks
- Connect STEM initiatives to exchange best practices
Foster connectivity through building new and expanding existing networks
- Use partners and networks to be a regional leader in developing ongoing creative and innovative strategies to build STEM leadership
Pre-K-12, higher education, non-profit, government, business and community partners all play an essential role
OSLN Akron Hub Partners
The OSLN Akron Hub platform school is the National Inventors Hall of Fame® School, and the founding partners of the hub include:
- Akron Public Schools
- Akron Tomorrow
- City of Akron
- Greater Akron Chamber
- Invent Now (formerly the National Inventors Hall of Fame® Foundation)
- The University of Akron
Through these partnerships, and many more throughout the greater Akron region, the OSLN hub taps into existing networks to connect and spread STEM education efforts throughout the 13-county region for which the OSLN Akron Hub is responsible.
Alison White, Director
Ohio STEM Learning Network - Akron Hub
The University of Akron
Website photos courtesy of Ben French
Professional Development Workshops for Winter 2013-14
These workshops are strategically designed to implement the Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards through a STEM-focused learning environment.
Based largely on the professional development provided to the learning coaches (teachers) at the National Inventors Hall of Fame® School … Center for STEM Learning, these professional development sessions can be taken on an individual basis, or collectively to maximize your capacity in STEM. Download the schedule
To sign up, visit us online at http://www.akronstem.org/services.aspx
Problem-Based Learning Design • December 4-6, 2013 OR March 5-7, 2014
- This 3-day institute is designed to provide workshop attendees with an introduction to Problem-Based Learning (PBL) based on the model developed at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) and adapted by National Inventors Hall of Fame® School Center for STEM Learning. In addition to being immersed in this PBL model, educators will have the opportunity to design a PBL unit for use in their classroom. Download the flyer
Professional Learning Communities • January 23
- This blended learning course is designed to provide participants with an opportunity to develop an understanding of PLCs as a foundation for curriculum, assessment and instruction for the 21st century learner. Download the flyer
Innovative STEM Leadership 101 • January 23
- STEM 101 focuses on leadership within a STEM model. Through this interactive experience, participants will learn how administrators, as contributing members of the instructional team, lead to increase student achievement. Download the flyer
Snapshots of STEM • February 4 and 19, March 4
- This 3-day professional learning experience is designed to provide participants with a real-world experience inside a fully functioning and operational science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) School, the National Inventors Hall of Fame® (Middle) School Center for STEM Learning. Download the flyer
STEM Platform School Visit • February 26
- Tour the National Inventors Hall of Fame® School...Center for STEM Learning. Several tour options are available: (1) a one-hour, learner-led tour, (2) a half-day tour and meetings with NIHF-STEM School leadership and learners, (3) a full-day, extended tour, and (4) a customized, multi-day tour. Learn more
Introduction to Problem-Based Learning Presentation • February 26
- Interested in learning about Problem-Based Learning (PBL), but don’t know where to start? This presentation provides an introductory overview to PBL, and explores teaching methods and curricular design. The workshop encourages educators to think critically and creatively and solve problems while discovering PBL design elements using examples from the National Inventors Hall of Fame® School Center for STEM Learning School. Download the flyer
Innovative STEM Leadership 102 • March 12
- STEM 102 focuses on a STEM School Leader’s role with family, community and school partnerships. Attendees will increase their community knowledge and skills, bringing these variables out into the open, where they can work together to everyone’s benefit. Download the flyer
Digital Literacy • March 25-27
- This 3-day, 21st Century learning professional experience focuses on designing a digitally informed environment of collaboration among learners. Visual art, information literacy, and technology standards integrate to support learning using creative and critical thinking in PBL, STEM, research, technology, as well as inquiry settings in all content areas. Download the flyer