Mary Jo MacCracken
Mary Jo MacCracken Ph.D.
Sport Science & Wellness Education
College of Education, The University of Akron
- Akron Public Elementary Schools (Claudia Grimes, Delta Kappa Gamma colleague, chair of physical education). University of Akron students experience service learning as they volunteer at MacD health fairs.
- Akron Public Elementary Schools (Crosby, Claudia Grimes; Suzanne Leyerle at Essex and Smith; Mary Breiding at McEbright). Clinical teaching. The physical education teacher and I observed/critiqued UA students as they implemented a developmentally-appropriate 25-minute lesson the students had developed. Spring 2004.
- Akron Public Schools, PACE programming in 17 schools reaching over 5,000 children since the inception of the tennis and character education program in 2009.
- Delta Kappa Gamma. Women educators meet once a month to learn and share. With two former students, I will be speaking on childhood obesity at our February 4, 2005 meeting. Members teach in the area public schools. I was inducted into membership in 1974.
- Faircrest Middle School, Canton, OH (Gay Welker, Principal). Longitudinal BMI obesity SPAS-C assessment of students in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 (supported by a $2,000 faculty research grant from the University of Akron’s College of Education).
- First Book of Greater Akron. Chuck Bell, Chair. Board Member (2010-present) Give new books to children at Asian Services, A Beautiful Child, SAFE Landing, Teen Mom’s, Help Me Grow, Akron Public Schools, YMCA, Barberton Head Start, and Boys and Girls Clubs of Summit County. Approve grant applications.
- Kent State University- Obesity and Anxiety in African-American Adolescent Girls. With Dr. Angela Neal-Barnett (Psychology); Dr. Robert E. Stadulis (Sport Science); Jackie Silas- Butler (Caring Communities of Akron) and Dr. Robert Gandee, Dr. Lisa Fender-Scarr, Dr. Kay Park, Dr. Bonna Sullivan, David Newman, Dan Reynolds, Kathy Schneider, and Garth Schofman.. The project Healthy Lifestyles Inside and Out (HLIO) was prepared in April, submitted in May, and awarded in July 2002. The University of Akron received and administered (UA Lois Smith) $200,000 per year for two years (2002-2004) for a total of $400,000 from the Ohio Commission on Minority Health.
- Thomas, Carolyn. Visiting Assistant Professor, Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Sports, Shepherd University, P.O. Box 3210, Shepherdstown, WVA 25443 (330-876-5586); e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Carolyn will be using the CSAI-2C and the SCAT-C to assess state and trait anxiety in children.
- Workshops with internationally recognized speakers: Bonnie G. Berger, Director, School of Human Movement, Sport, & Leisure Studies, Bowling Green State University; Exercise Adherence: Determinants and Strategies, Robert S. Weinberg, Department of Physical Education, Health, and Sport Studies, Miami University, Oxford, OH.