The University of Akron, as part of grant opportunities, is a provider of support services to candidates. Candidates are strongly advised to affiliate with a candidate support provider in order to be mentored through the intense NB process.
The following are some of the benefits of joining the UA NBPTS Support Cohort Group:
- Full Candidacy - Those wishing to earn 3 or 6 graduate workshop credits (which may be applied toward completion of a graduate degree with expressed, written consent of one's adviser) can be available upon request. Workshop credits will be offered at a reduce fee. UA online support will be available for those working toward graduate credit.
- Large-group meetings for all candidates (held several times during the candidacy year) which focus on a presentation of holistic concepts and requirements. All sessions are facilitated by NBCTs.
- Utilization of e-classrooms designed to promote collaboration and communication among our cohort learning community. With anytime access to our e-classroom, candidates can access (a) content modules, (b) email, and (c) resource files.
- Promotion of newly announced NBCT’s through press releases to NE Ohio community.
- Numerous resources for download, including YouTube videos, classroom tips, suggestions for assessing student work and tips for videotaping entries.
The University of Akron’s NBPTS Support Cohort program is housed within the College of Education, Zook Hall Room 228, (330) 972-5427. Please contact the program administrator or facilitators for more information or to sign-up for our orientation e-mail notification.
Barb Baltrinic, NBCT
Go to the NBPTS website for comprehensive information about the National Board Certification© process or call them at 1-800-22-TEACH.