OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
ELI EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
The ELI organizes many different cultural, social, educational, and athletic activities for students. These activities give students the chance to practice English, to become familiar with the Akron area, to learn about American culture, and to relax.
Conversation Partners Program (CPP)
During the Fall and Spring semesters, the ELI offers its Conversation Partners Program. Through this program, an ELI student meets with an American student from The University of Akron once a week to share one hour of informal conversation in English. The purpose of the program is two-fold: 1) to give ELI students the chance to practice their English outside of class and to get more of an "inside view" of American life; 2) to give the American partner the opportunity to learn about other countries and cultures and to get a new perspective on their own culture.
American students who are proficient enough in a second language to carry on a conversation with a native speaker may sign up for a "conversation exchange." In the Conversation Exchange Program, students meet twice a week: once for an hour of conversation in English, once for an hour of conversation in the ELI student's native language.
Other Organized Activities
In addition to CPP, the ELI organizes a variety of activities every semester. We also encourage students to take advantage of the many social, athletic, and educational activities available in the Akron area and on the university campus.
Here is a sampling of some of the activities we plan:
- ELI Bowling Night Once a semester, ELI students and faculty meet for ELI Bowling Night in the university's Student Union. This is a night to relax, have informal conversations in English, and show off your skill as a bowler.
- Akron Symphony Orchestra and Other Concerts In the fall and spring semesters, the ELI can offer students free concert tickets to some of the performances of the Akron Symphony Orchestra and other groups sponsored by Akron's Tuesday Musical Club. The tickets are available through a grant and are generously donated to the ELI.
- Mini-Golf and Ice Cream In the summer, the ELI spends an evening playing mini-golf and sampling some of the best home-made ice cream in the Akron area.
- Akron Aeros In the spring and summer, the ELI tries to take in a night of major league baseball by going to watch the Akron Aeros. The Aeros are the Double AA team for the Cleveland Indians.
This list shows the variety of activities that ELI students can enjoy while developing their English language skills.
Full Use of University Facilities
Students at the ELI can use University facilities and services. These facilities include:
- UA University Libraries The University Libraries offer a comfortable place to study, read, and do research. The audio-visual centers of the libraries provide students with the opportunity to practice their listening skills through cassettes and videotapes. ELI students may use all the library materials and services.
- Sports Facilities In the modern Student Recreation and Wellness Center, ELI students can take full advantage of the University gymnasiums and natatorium. Facilities include indoor swimming pools, weight rooms, racquetball courts, locker rooms, and sports equipment. The University also has an outdoor track, tennis courts, and practice fields for soccer, softball, and basketball. ELI students can relax and exercise their muscles after a hard day of studying English. Please note that there is a student fee to join the recreation center. If ELI students decide to use this facility, they have to join and pay the student fee.
- Student Union A large, modern student center provides a central place for conversation, food, drink, and recreation. In the Student Union, you can find restaurants, cafeterias, a bookstore, a bank, a movie theater, lounge areas, and a game room with bowling, billiards, table tennis, and video games.