The Department of Civil Engineering at The University of Akron
Civil engineers plan and design large-scale projects like bridges and power plants, study and solve societal and environmental challenges like providing safe drinking water, and design and maintain transportation systems.
Our undergraduate program allows students to tailor their education toward specialties like structural, water resources and hydraulic, geotechnical, environmental and transportation.
The graduate program is designed to be flexible enough to meet the needs of students with varied backgrounds and prepare them for a career in industry, government or academia.
Learn more about the Civil Engineering Department and read the message from the Chair.
- Certifications & Specializations
- Short Courses
- Current Newsletter
- Alumni Social Network
Department of Civil Engineering
Auburn Science and Engineering Center (ASEC) 210
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-3905
- Challenge of providing clean water drives this engineer
- Concrete canoe, steel bridge teams win 1st and 2nd place in regional competition
- Civil engineering students optimize designs for annual competition
- UA Selected Member of US DOT University Transportation Center
- Edward Machek: Working to become ‘Professor Machek’
If you can recognize any person/event in the photos below, please email us description with photo ID to email@example.com
Professor & Chair
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Department of Civil Engineering at The University of Akron.
Established in 1914, our success is demonstrated by the talented faculty from the top national programs. Undergraduate courses are constantly reviewed by faculty with consultation by the Industrial and Advisory Council groups. Our alumni and civil engineering professional community at large significantly support the department through fund raising for scholarships and active student mentoring in the classrooms. Continue reading the Chair's Welcome.
- Engineering Tutoring Program
- Increasing Diversity in Engineering Academics (IDEAs)
- Women in Engineering Program (WIEP)
- American Society of Civil Engineers Student Chapter
- All engineering student organizations
- Accredited Online College Degree Programs