COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Civil engineers plan and design large-scale projects like bridges and power plants, study and solve societal and environmental challenges like providing safe drinking water, and design and maintain transportation systems.
Our undergraduate program allows students to tailor their education toward specialties like structural, water resources and hydraulic, geotechnical, environmental and transportation.
The graduate program is designed to be flexible enough to meet the needs of students with varied backgrounds and prepare them for a career in industry, government or academia.
Learn more about the Civil Engineering Department and read the message from the Chair.
- Certifications & Specializations
- Short Courses
- 100 Years Newsletter
- Alumni Social Network
Video: ALUMNUS ROBERT STEVENS
Department of Civil Engineering
Auburn Science and Engineering Center (ASEC) 210
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-3905
- New Student Trustee appointed to Board of Trustees
- Concrete Canoe and Steel Bridge teams head to national competition
- UA professor leads algae bloom research project
- UA professor awarded Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellowship
- Dominion awards gift to establish new lab on UA campus
Dr. Binienda, Professor & Chair
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Department of Civil Engineering at The University of Akron.
Established in 1914, our success is demonstrated by the talented faculty from the top national programs. Undergraduate courses are constantly reviewed by faculty with consultation by the Industrial and Advisory Council groups. Our alumni and civil engineering professional community at large significantly support the department through fund raising for scholarships and active student mentoring in the classrooms. Continue reading the Chair's Welcome.
- Engineering Tutoring Program
- Increasing Diversity in Engineering Academics (IDEAs)
- Women in Engineering Program (WIEP)
- American Society of Civil Engineers Student Chapter
- All engineering student organizations
- Accredited Online College Degree Programs
Civil Department Group Photo