Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Civil Engineering
Integration of science and technology from multiple disciplines to address the geotechnical engineering challenges.
Previous research activities
Numerical Modeling of Bridge Scour, Bio-inspired Sensors Based on Smart Materials, TDR Technology in Civil Engineering (Bridge Scour Monitoring, Soil Characterization), Wireless Sensing Networks, Deep Foundation in Soft Soils, Super-deep Cement-Soil Mixed Piles and Geosynthetics.
Current and future research interests
- Smart Infrastructure (Biomimicry, Smart Materials and Sensing Technology, Structural Health Monitoring)
- Sustainable Geo-materials and Geo-systems (Mechanism/monitoring/countermeasure of scour/erosion problems, Stabilization of problematic Soil using Polyurethane Injection, Geophysical characterization of geo-materials, NDT QA/QC measures)
- Energy Geo-structure and Geo-technics
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH (2009-2013)
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Thesis topic: “Fusion of Numerical Modeling and Innovative Sensing to Advance Bridge Scour Research and Practice”
- Tongji University, Shanghai, China (2006-2009) M.S. in Geotechnical Engineering, Thesis topic: “Statistic Analysis of the Bearing Capacity of Axially Loaded Bored Piles in Shanghai Region”
- China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, China ( 2002-2006)
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Thesis topic: “Application of Incremental Method to Internal Structural Force Calculation in Design of Deep Foundation Pit”
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron, Akron, OH (August 2013 –Present)
- Research Assistant, Case Western Reserve University (2009-2013)
- Research Assistant, Tongji University (2006-2009)
- Spring 2014: 4300-314 Geotechnical Engineering
- Fall 2013: 4300-201 Statics-
- Springs 2011, 2012, 2013 (CWRU): ECIV 330 (Soil Labs)
Professional Qualification and Affliation
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) in the State of Michigan
- Associate Member American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Geo-Institute
- Member Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Member International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE)
- Member Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member International Association of Chinese Infrastructure Professionals (IACIP)
- Co-Chair Student poster competition, The 4th Annual IACIP Workshop, January 12, 2014,Washington, D.C
- Co-Editor Geotechnical Special Publication Volume 5, Geo-Shanghai 2014, May 26-28, 2014
National Professional Committees
- Committee Secretary, ASCE Geo-Institute Committee on Geotechnics of Soil Erosion
- Young Member, TRB AFD35 Committee on Bridge Management
- Young Member, TRB AFD20 Committee on Pavement Monitoring and Evaluation
- Young Member, TRB AFS40 Committee on Subsurface Soil-Structure Interaction
Reviewing Service for Journals or Conferences
- ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- Geotechnical Testing Journal
- Construction & Building Materials
- Ocean Engineering
- Geo-Shanghai 2014, Geo-Congress 2014, TRB 2014, IACGE2013, ASCE GeoRisk 2011, ASCE GeoFrontiers 2011, GeoShanghai 2010, GeoFlorida 2010
- Chair, Computer Committee, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Akron
Honors and Awards
- 2014 ASCE ExCEED 2014 Teaching Workshop Support
- 2013 Geo-institute (ASCE) Travel Award, Geo-congress 2013 (San Diego, CA)
- 2013 Roy Harley Prize (Case Western Reserve University)
- 2012 USUCGER Travel Award, 1st USUCGER Early Career Geotechnical Conference and NSF CMMI Research and Innovation Conference (Boston, MA)
- 2012 Craig J. Miller Memorial Award (Case Western Reserve University)
- 2011 SGS-Graduate Student Travel Award (Case Western Reserve University) for International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring 2011 (Stanford, CA)
Journal papers in preparation
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2014. A Framework for Numerical Simulation of Bridge Scour Focusing on the Improvements of Sediment Transport Models Journal of Hydro-environment Research. (Ready for Submission)
- Tao, J., Yu, X. &Yu, X.* 2014. TDR Field Bridge Scour Monitoring System: Successes and Pitfalls Journal of Bridge Engineering (Ready for Submission)
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2014. Influence of External Electric Circuit on the Dynamic Response of a Piezoelectric Micro-pillar Sensor (Ready for Submission)
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2014 Optimization of the Geometry of a Bio-inspired Piezoelectric Composite Hair Sensor. (Ready for Submission)
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2014. CFD Modeling for Flow and Scour around Bridge Piers—A review. Journal of Hydro-environment Research. (Tentatively Accepted)
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2014. Bio-inspired Hair Sensor with Piezoelectric Microfiber and Spiral Electrodes. IEEE Sensors Journal. (Tentatively Accepted)
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2014. Effects of Pier Configurations on the Flow Pattern and Scour: CFD Modeling and Practical Implications. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Dynamics (Tentatively Accepted)
- Tao, J., Sun, Y., Wu, G. & Yu, X.* 2013. Emulating the directional sensitivity of fish hair cell sensor. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 24(12), pp. 1484-1493
- Yu, X., Zhang, B., Tao, J. & Yu, X. * 2013. A New Time Domain Reflectometry Bridge Scour Sensor. Structural Health Monitoring. 12 (2), pp. 99-113
- Wang, R.*, Tao, J., Yu, X. & Dai, L. 2013. Characterization of multi-walled carbon nanotubes/polymethyl meth-acrylate composites as denture base materials. J. Biomater. Res. Part B (in press)
- Sun, Y., Yu, X., Liu, Z., Liu, Y., Tao, J. 2013. Advanced ultrasonic technology for freezing damage prevention of concrete pavement. International Journal of Pavement Research & Technology, Vol. 6, I. 2, pp. 86-92, 2013.
- Liu, Z., Zhang, B., Yu, X., Tao, J., Sun, Y. & Gao, Q. 2013. Thermally Induced Water Flux in Soils. Transportation Research Record. (Accepted)
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* 2012. Hair flow sensors: from bio-inspiration to bio-mimicking—a review. Smart Materials and Structures, 21, 113001. (Featured Article, Highlight of 2012, Most Read)
- Sun, Y., Chung, C.-Y., Yu, X., Liu, Z., Liu, Y. & Tao, J. 2012. Advanced ultrasonic technology for air void distribution in concrete. Materials Evaluation, ASNT, Vol. 71, pp. 359-368.
- Gao, Q., Tao, J., Hu, J. & Yu, X.* 2012. Experimental Study on Mechanical Behavior of Anisotropic Shale. Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. (Under Review)
- Liu, Z., Yu, X.*, Tao, J. & Sun, Y. 2012. Multiphysics extension to physically based analyses of pipes with emphasis on frost actions. Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A, 13, 877-887. DOI: 10.1631/jzus.A12ISGT2
- Liu, Z., Zhang, B., Yu, X.*, Zhang, B. & Tao, J. 2012. A New Method for Soil Water Characteristic Curve Measurement Based on Similarities between Soil Freezing and Drying. Geotechnical Testing Journal, 35, GTJ103653 DOI: 10.1520/GTJ103653
- Tao, J., Wu, J., Yin, Y. & Zhao, C.* 2008. Laboratory Experiment and Analysis on the Permeability of Supper-deep Cement-soil Mixing Pile. Geotechnical Engineers, 19. (In Chinese)
- Wu, J., Liu, F., Tao, J. & Zhao, C.* 2008. Permeability of Super-deep Cement-soil Mixing Piles in Soft Soil Region. Underground Engineering and Tunnels, 2008, 12-15. (In Chinese)
Selected Conference Papers
- Tao, J. and Yu, X. (2014) Sediment Transport Model Considering Turbulent Flow. Geo-Congress 2014 Technical Papers: pp. 1072-1080.
- Tao, J. and Yu, X. (2014) Flow and Scour Patterns around Bridge Piers with Different Configurations: Insights from CFD Simulations. Geo-Congress 2014 Technical Papers: pp. 2655-2664.
- Gao, Q., Hu, J., Tao, J., and Yu, X. (2014) Experimental Characterization of the Anisotropic Behaviors of Shale Rock. Geo-Congress 2014 Technical Papers: pp. 563-571.
- Tao, J. and Yu, X. (2014) Influence of Shunt-damping circuit on the dynamic response of a bio-inspired piezoelectric micropillar sensor. SPIE Smart Structures/ NDE 2014, San Diego, California
- Sun, Y., Tao, J. Wu, G. and Yu, X. (2013) A non-contact wearable wireless body sensor network for multiple vital signal detection. Sensors, IEEE 2013, Baltimore, MD
- Tao, J., Yu, X. &Yu, X.* (2013) Real-time TDR Field Bridge Scour Monitoring System. ASCE Structures Congress 2013, Pittsburg
- Tao, J., Gao, Q. & Yu, X.* (2013) Assessment of the Effects of Pier Configurations on the Flow Pattern and Scour: A CFD Modeling Approach. The 92nd TRB Annual Conference, 2013 Washington D.C.
- Tao, J. & Yu, X.* (2013) A Framework for Numerical Simulation of Bridge Scour Focusing on the Improvements of Sediment Transport Models The 92nd TRB Annual Conference, 2013 Washington D.C.
- Liu, Z., Yu, X.*, Tao, J., Wu, G. & Sun, Y. (2012) Thermo-hydro-mechanical Modeling of Soil-Pipe Interactions in Cold Weather Conditions. The 91st TRB Annual Conference, 2012 Washington D.C.
- Sun, Y., Yu, X.*, Liu, Z., Liu, Y. & Tao, J. (2012) Advanced Ultrasonic Technology for Measurement of Pore Size Distribution in Concrete. The 91st TRB Annual Conference, 2012.
- Tao, J., Richardson, M., Yu, X.*, Zhang, B., Sun, Y. & Liu, Z. (2011) Performance Evaluation of a Wireless Sensor Network Protocol for Structural Health Monitoring. The 90th TRB Annual Conference, 2011 Washington, D.C.
- Tao, J., Yu, X.* & Berrilla, J. (2011) Bio-inspired Flow and Acoustic Sensor. Sensors, and Command, Control, Communications, and Intelligence (C3i) Technologies for Homeland Security and Homeland Defense X, 2011 Orlando, Florida. 80190R. DOI:10.1117/12.886564
- Tao, J., Yu, X.* & Berrilla, J. (2011) Micropillar sensing element for bio-Inspired flow sensors. In: CHANG, F., ed. 8th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, 2011 Standford, CA. 1732-9.
- Yu, X.*, Tao, J. & Yu, X.* (2011) Comparison Study on Computer Simulations for Bridge Scour Estimation. GeoRisk 2011 Conference: Geotechnical Risk Assessment and Management (GSP 244), 2011. 1125-1132. DOI: 10.1061/41183(418)123
- Liu, Z., Zhang, B., Yu, X.*, Zhang, B. & Tao, J. (2011) A New Freezing Method for Soil Water Characteristic Curve Measurement. The 90th TRB Annual Conference, 2011 Washington D.C.
- Yu, X.*, Tao, J. & Berilla, J. (2010) A Bio-Inspired Flow Sensor. Nanosensors, Biosensors, and Info-Tech Sensors and Systems 2010, 2010. 764618 Doi:10.1117/12.849230.
- Yu, X.*, Zhang, B., Tao, J. & Liu, Z. (2010) Smart pavement sensor based on thermoelectricity power. SPIE Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems 2010, 2010 San Diego, CA. 76470X.