Program Educational Objectives and Accreditation
Both the Bachelor of Science electrical engineering program and the Bachelor of Science computer engineering program offered by the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at The University of Akron are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The educational objectives of the Electrical Engineering program and the Computer Engineering program are to educate and graduate engineers who, within a few years of graduation, are expected to:
Achieve competitively compensated electrical or computer engineering positions or entry into programs of advanced study in areas of their interest.
Prove to be highly competent and productive in engineering and related practice.
Continue to develop professionally through both practical experience and a lifelong commitment to learning.
Exhibit high standards of ethical conduct and societal responsibility in engineering.
Additionally, the programs support creativity and excellence in the practice of electrical and computer engineering, and the advancement of knowledge.
The programs are continuously updated and improved through a well defined assessment process, assuring that graduates are prepared to meet the above objectives by achieving:
- the ability to apply mathematics, science, and engineering knowledge to the identification, formulation, and solution of electrical or computer engineering problems
- specialized engineering knowledge in areas of interest related to career objectives
- the abililty to design systems, components, or processes to meet client needs
- the ability to design and conduct experiments and interpret technical data
- the ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams and within engineering organizations
- proficiency in technical communications, oral, written, and visual
- the ability to use tools of modern engineering practice effectively, including standard instruments, computational and presentation software, engineering libraries and the Internet
- the ability and motivation to extend their competence into new areas
- understanding of safety issues in electrical or computer engineering
- understanding environmental issues in electrical or computer engineering
- understanding intellectual property issues in electrical or computer engineering
- understanding societal impact issues in electrical or computer engineering
- understanding professional ethics in electrical or computer engineering