Dr. Jae-Won Choi
Dr. Jae-Won Choi is a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Akron (UA). Prior to joining UA in 2011, he spent one year for his Post Doctoral research in the W.M. Keck Center for 3D Innovation at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) in 2007, sponsored by the Overseas Post Doctoral Fellowship from the Korea Research Foundations. After his involvement with the W.M. Keck Center, he was promoted twice first to the rank of Research Specialist in 2008, and then to Research Assistant Professor in 2009. Currently, he is serving as an editorial board member in several journals – Additive Manufacturing; Korean Society of Manufacturing Processing Engineers; and Korean Society of Mechanical Technology. He is a member of ASME, SME, and SPIE.
Currently, he is intensively working on 3D printed tactile sensors for robotics, prosthetics, consumer products, etc. His research interests include Additive Manufacturing of Sensors, Actuators and Electronics; Synthesis of 3D Printable Smart Materials; Direct-Print Photopolymerization; Multi-Scale Additive Manufacturing; Biomedical Microdevices; and Transdermal Drug Delivery. He has one pending patent and three provisional patent applications. He has published more than 36 archival journal and conference papers.
1. Vatani, M., Engeberg, E.D., Choi, J.W.*, 2014, “Detection of the Position, Direction, and Speed of Sliding Contact with a Multi-layer Compliant Tactile Sensor Fabricated using Direct-Print Technology,” Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 23, pp. 0905008 (11pp).
2. Lu, Y., Vatani, M., Choi, J.W.*, 2013, “Direct-Write/Cure Conductive Polymer Nanocomposites for 3D Structural Electronics,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 2929-2934.
3. Vatani, M., Engeberg, E.D., Choi, J.W.*, 2013, “Force and slip detection with direct-write compliant tactile sensors using multi-walled carbon nanotube/polymer composites,” Sensors and Actuators A – Physical, Vol. 195, pp. 90-97 (Featured in the ScienceDirect Top 25 List of Most Downloaded Articled).
4. Vatani, M., Lu, Y., Lee, K.S., Kim, H.C., Choi, J.W.*, 2013, “Direct-write stretchable sensors using single-walled carbon nanotubes/polymer matrix,” ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 135, pp. 011009-1-5.
5. Wu, H., Hu, W., Hu, H-C., Lin, X-W., Zhu, G., Choi, J.W., Chigrinov V., Lu, Y-Q. 2012, “Arbitrary photo-patterning in liquid crystal alignments using DMD based lithography system,” Optics Express, Vol. 20, Iss. 15, pp. 16684-16689.
6. Choi, J.W., Kim, H.C., Wicker, R. 2011, “Multi-material stereolithography,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 211, pp. 318-328.
7. Choi, J.W., Medina, F., Kim, C., Espalin, D., Rodriguez, D., Stucker, B., Wicker, R. 2011, “Development of a mobile fused deposition modeling system with enhanced manufacturing flexibility,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 211, pp. 424-432.
8. Choi, J.W.*, Yamashita, M., Sakakibara, J., Kaji, Y., Oshika, T., Wicker, R. 2010, “Combined Micro and Macro Additive Manufacturing of a Swirling Flow Coaxial Phacoemulsifier Sleeve with Internal Micro-Vanes,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 12, pp. 875-886.
9. Choi, J.W.*, MacDonald, E., Wicker, R.B. 2010, “Multi-Material Microstereolithography,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 49, pp. 543-551.
10. Kim, H.C., Choi, J.W., Wicker, R.B. 2010, “Scheduling and process planning for multiple material stereolithography,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 232-240.
11. Choi, J.W., Choi, K.H., Chung, I., Ha, C.S., Lee, S.H, Wicker, R.B. 2009, “Fabrication of 3D Biocompatible/biodegradable Micro-Scaffolds using dynamic Mask Projection Microstereolithography,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 29, pp. 5494-5503.
12. Choi, J.W., Wicker, R.B., Cho, S.H., Ha, C.S., Lee, S.H. 2009, “Cure depth control for complex 3D microstructure fabrication in dynamic mask projection microstereolithography,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 59-70.
PostDoc (2007-2008) from Univ. of Texas at El Paso; Ph.D. (2007), M.S. (2001), and B.S. (1999) from Pusan National University, S. Korea
4600:165 Tools for Mechanical Engineering
4600:484 Mechanical Engineering Laboratory (3D Printing)
4600:486 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (Special Topic)
4900:460 Aerospace Systems Manufacturing
4600:696-809 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (Special Topic)