Dr. Jae-Won Choi
Dr. Jae-Won Choi is a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Akron (UA). Prior to joining the UA faculty members in 2011, he spent one year for his Post Doctoral research in the W.M. Keck Center for 3D Innovation at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) in 2007, sponsored by the Overseas Post Doctoral Fellowship from the Korea Research Foundations. After his involvement with the W.M. Keck Center, he was promoted twice first to the rank of Research Specialist in 2008, and then to Research Assistant Professor in 2009. Currently, he is working on Printable Sensors/Devices, Direct-Write, 3D Micro/Macro Multi-material Manufacturing, and Biomedical Microdevices.
Dr. Choi’s research interests include Development of Advanced Multi-Scale, Multi-Material Manufacturing Systems, 3D Structural Electronics, 3D Molded Interconnect Devices, Functional Additive Manufacturing, Direct Writing, Tissue Engineering, Biomedical Devices, Transdermal Drug Delivery System, and CAD/CAM. He has published 29 archival journal papers/proceedings.
1. Vatani, M., Choi, J.W.*, Lu, Y., Lee, K.S., “Direct-Write Stretchable Sensors using Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes-Polymer Matrix,” ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 2012.
2. Choi, J.W., Kim, H.C., Wicker, R., “Multi-material stereolithography,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 211, pp. 318-328, 2011.
3. Choi, J.W.*, Quintana, R., Wicker, R., “Fabrication and characterization of embedded horizontal micro-channels using line-scan stereolithography,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 17, Issue 5, 2011.
4. Choi, J.W., Medina, F., Kim, C., Espalin, D., Rodriguez, D., Stucker, B., Wicker, R., “Development of a mobile fused deposition modeling system with enhanced manufacturing flexibility,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 211, pp. 424-432, 2011.
5. Choi, J.W.*, Yamashita, M., Sakakibara, J., Kaji, Y., Oshika, T., Wicker, R., “Combined Micro and Macro Additive Manufacturing of a Swirling Flow Coaxial Phacoemulsifier Sleeve with Internal Micro-Vanes,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 12, pp. 875-886, 2010.
6. Choi, J.W.*, MacDonald, E., Wicker, R.B., “Multi-Material Microstereolithography,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 49, pp. 543-551, 2010.
7. Kim, H.C., Choi, J.W., Wicker, R.B., “Process planning and scheduling for multiple material stereolithography,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 232-240, 2010.
8. Kim, H.C., Choi, J.W., MacDonald, E., Wicker, R.B., “Slice Overlap Detection Algorithm for the Process Planning of Multiple Material Stereolithography Apparatus,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 46, No. 9, pp. 1161-1170, 2010.
9. Choi, J.W., Choi, K.H., Chung, I., Ha, C.S., Lee, S.H, Wicker, R.B., “Fabrication of 3D Biocompatible/biodegradable Micro-Scaffolds using dynamic Mask Projection Microstereolithography,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 29, pp. 5494-5503, 2009.
10. Choi, J.W., Wicker, R.B., Cho, S.H., Ha, C.S., Lee, S.H., “Cure depth control for complex 3D microstructure fabrication in dynamic mask projection microstereolithography,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 59-70, 2009.
Ph.D. (2007), M.S. (2001), and B.S. (1999) from Pusan National University, S. Korea
4600:165 Tools for Mechanical Engineering
4600:321 Kinematics of Machines
4600:696-809 Advanced Additive Manufacturing (Special Topic)