Laptop Recommendations for Students
Welcome to the beginning of a great career in mechanical engineering!
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has two computer labs with 82 of the fastest computers and the latest engineering software to meet your course needs.
Overspending on a laptop is not necessary. A quality laptop can be purchased for less than $900.00. Tablet laptops are pricier but are gaining interest because you can take notes and work totally paperless.
Below is an overview of recommendations from Cliff Bailey, Engineering Technician Sr.
- Core i5 processor above 2 GHz - The fastest speed you can afford is best.
- 14-inch display - A 15-inch display is nice but makes the laptop bulky. Notebooks are lighter, but the small screen can make drawings hard to see.
- 4 Gig of RAM minimum size - Recommend 8 Gig of RAM Maximum
- 250G hard drive minimum - The 7200 RPM rating makes a much faster computer. SSD drives are the fastest and cost is coming down.
- DVD burner
- Video card for engineering is not that critical. The standard card with an i5 processor is fine.
- Windows x64 operating system.
- Extended warranty is good because laptops take a lot of abuse.
Please note, the Mac operating system is incompatible with most engineering software but you can have Windows installed.
The Computer Store
The Computer Store can offer advice on Lenovo, Dell, MAC laptops, and tablets for students.
MS Office, Solidworks, Creo 2.0, and AutoCAD are a few of the Windows-based programs you may want to run on your computer. There are student versions available at The Computer Store online. Fees vary.
UA Virtual Lab and Free Matlab
Our new UA Virtual Lab is available through My Akron. Students can access selected applications, including Office, Solidworks, and AutoCAD from any location at any time.
Free Matlab and Anti Virus software is available through My Akron under. Login and click on "Help Center." Under the heading “Home use software downloads” you can install Matlab. Carefully review the PDF instructions for the license code required to enter.
The Computer Store has the best prices for software:
Microsoft Office 2013 or Office 365, plus many other Microsoft products and engineering programs.
For more information, contact The Computer Store at 330-972-5308 or Cliff Bailey, Engineering Technician Sr., at 330-972-5353.