What every Engineering student should know

Keep on top of your program

Go to Zipline, Students tab, Student Center, check for the following:

  • Are your college and major information correct? Is your adviser an engineering adviser? (see Adviser box on the right side of page; select Details.) If not, see your adviser or departmental office. 
  • If you're a Co-op student, confirm that your major description contains the words "co-op".  If not, see your advisor or departmental office to change your plan (major) code. 
  • Is your contact information correct (listed at bottom of page)?  If not, edit for correction. 
  • If you've applied for graduation, you should see the progress of your application in the To Do box.
  • Remember to check your DARS report -- go to Zipline and you'll see DARS -- this is where you can follow your progress toward graduation (see which requirements you've fulfilled and which you need to complete).

Course add/drop procedure

  • Go to Zipline, Student tab, Quick Links for Students and download Registration/Schedule Adjust form. Complete the form by following instructions on page 2. 
  • Note there is a different procedure depending upon whether you are adding or dropping a course. 
  • Note that you must obtain signatures in a specific order:  instructor, advisor, dean. 
  • Check which signatures are required by referring to academic calendar, which is viewable in the box on the right on the students tab, registrar notices and dates, academic calendar. 
  • Most circumstances do not require Dean's signature so be sure to consult the instructions and the academic calendar for guidance.  If you require Dean's signature, see Julie Anderson (ASEC 201).

Look for scholarships

  • Application forms are posted in December/January on the Scholarships page and are due in March for the upcoming school year. 
  • The majority of College of Engineering scholarships are not renewable. You will need to reapply every year.
  • If selected, you will be sent a letter/email confirming your award and you will be asked to complete an acceptance form and write a letter of thanks to the scholarship donor(s). 

To take classes at another institution

If you do not obtain permission prior to taking the course, you may be denied credit for the course.

To transfer out of the College of Engineering

  • Check Zipline to confirm that you are in the College of Engineering (check academic program). 
  • If you are in the College of Engineering and wish to speak with your advisor, schedule an appointment with him/her. 
  • Consult the Undergraduate Bulletin (accessible through Zipline) to determine if you meet the admission requirements for the college to which you wish to transfer. If yes, come to the Dean's Office (ASEC 201) and meet with Julie Anderson. If no, you may choose to either remain in the college until you meet the admission requirements or transfer to University College. Please note that engineering probation/suspension policy will remain in effect so be sure to maintain your GPA above 2.0. 
  • Your signature is required on the ICT.   

Apply for graduation

  • To apply for graduation, go to Zipline, select Student Center, select My Academics, Select Apply for Graduation follow directions. You will receive an email confirming receipt of application. 
  • Remember to visit Zipline often to check the Graduation To Do List (located on right side of screen). 
  • If you apply after the deadline or need to change your plan code (major), you will need to contact Julie Anderson in the Dean's Office (ajulie1@uakron.edu). 

To avoid a $100 late fee, you must apply the semester before your graduation date.

Deadlines to apply for graduation are:  (check website for specific dates)

  • Spring Commencement - applications due in September
  • Summer Commencement - applications due in February
  • Fall Commencement - applications due in May

College of Engineering icon

The University of Akron
College of Engineering
Auburn Science & Engineering Center
Akron, OH 44325-3901

Tel: 330-972-6978
Fax: 330-972-5162

The University of Akron

Akron, OH 44325
Phone: 330-972-7111
Contact us
Send mail & deliveries to UA