Department of Engineering and Science Technology news stories
- Surveying program again maps out a path to success
- Concrete Canoe team wins third at nationals and first in innovation
- Electronic Engineering Technology students tour Canton South substation
- Donation of new surveying equipment will make it easier for new graduate to share knowledge
- Students in Surveying and Mapping Program in national competition
- College of Applied Science and Technology students complete unmanned aerial mapping flight
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology Program receives $10,000 Scholarship Grant from Haas
- Susan Ramlo receives best paper award
- Survey and Mapping students gain hands-on experience
- UA offers new career pathway in field of corrosion engineering
- Teen Science Café Grant Award
- Surveying and Mapping Program receives national award
Concrete Canoe team wins third at nationals and first in innovation
June 22, 2017
In 1988, the University's Concrete Canoe Team participated in the very first national competition. Since then, the team has maintained shining reputation. This year was no different.
The hardworking team of students won third place overall in the American Society of Civil Engineers Concrete Canoe National Competition on Sunday, June 18.
The team competed against 205 college teams from around the U.S., ending on a golden note in Golden, Colo. They finished third overall, and were awarded first place in innovation.
Jessica Givins, the team’s captain, commented about their success by saying, “We have a strong tradition here with the team being established in the early '70s… We continuously improve upon past successes while promoting future team development."
The team was awarded $1,500 for placing third in the national competition, and a plaque for their first place finish in innovation. Marcia Belcher, Professor of Construction Engineering Technology and Interim Chair for the Department of Engineering and Science Technology in the College of Applied Science and Technology, is the team's faculty advisor.