The field of geography encompasses global and local concerns such as urban development, environmental sustainability, land use, geopolitics, mapping, satellite imagery and geographic information systems (GIS).
The Department of Geology and Environmental Science offers these undergraduate degree options:
- B.A. in Geography - Geography Track – focuses on physical, cultural and economic patterns and processes across regions. Program includes basic geographic techniques, and analysis.
- B.S. in Geography/Geographic Information Systems – prepares students for careers in the advanced analytical and scientific areas of GIS, cartography and remote sensing.
Degrees prepare graduates for careers in government agencies, nonprofit organizations and private industry. Many graduates also continue on to graduate school or professional-degree programs.
Faculty have research strengths in:
- geographic information systems
- remote sensing
- field studies
- physical and environmental studies
- geography of Asia, Europe and Latin America
- political geography
Experience geography firsthand through our:
- specialized labs for research and instruction in geographic technologies;
- diverse collection of digital and printed maps, aerial photographs and satellite images;
- opportunities for individual undergraduate research projects and fieldwork; and
- courses that utilize field observation, global positioning system (GPS) tools and community participation.
Gain practical professional experience and valuable resume references through a variety of internship opportunities through the Department of Geology and Environmental Science. Internship positions are available with local government agencies and businesses.
Recent Placements include:
- Stark County Auditor
- Davey Resource Group
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Cuyahoga County Health Department
- Cleveland MetroParks
Geography and Planning Student Organization
Interact with other geography students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Geography and Planning Organization (GAPSA)