Dale H. Mugler, Ph.D.
Dean, Honors College, and
Professor of Biomedical Engineering with a joint appointment
in Applied Mathematics
Fields of Interest
- Wavelets: theory and applications
- Biomedical applications of Fourier analysis
- Computational methods in signal processing, including rapid computation of the FFT and real-time characterization of ischemia from ECGs
- Image processing for nuclear medicine and magnetic resonance imaging
- Numerical algorithms and scientific computing
Research at UA's Biomedical Signal and Image Processing Lab (UASIPL)
I. Biomedical applications of the new Discrete Hermite Transform (DHmT)
- "Frequency Determination Using the Discrete Hermite Transform'' with S. Clary, a chapter in New Perspectives on Approximation and Sampling Theory, eds. A. Zayed and G. Schmeisser, Birkhauser (Springer-Verlag) in the Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis Series (to appear).
- "The Evolution of the Hermite Transform in Biomedical Applications''
with R. Gopalikrishnan, a chapter
in Intelligent Medical Technologies and Biomedical Engineering: Tools and Applications, edited by A. Shukla and R. Tiwari, IGI Global, pp. 260-278, 2010.
- "Ballistocardiogram Artifact Removal in EEG-fMRI Signals Using Discrete Hermite Transforms''
with A. Mahadevan, S. Acharya, D. Sheffer,
IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Special Issue on: fMRI Analysis for Human. Brain Mapping, vol.2 (6), pp. 839-853, 2008.
II. Signal processing methods for Real-time Electrocardiogram analysis
- "Real Time Monitoring of Ischemic Changes in Electrocardiograms using Discrete Hermite Functions,'' with R. Gopalikrishnan and S. Acharya, Proceedings of the 26th Intn'l IEEE EMBS Conf., pp.438-441, Sept. 2004.
- " Discrete Hermite Expansion of Digital Signals: Applications to ECG Signals''
with S. Clary and Y. Wu, in Proceedings of the IEEE Sig Proc Society 10th DSP Workshop, Georgia, pp.271-276, 2002.
III. GPU parallel processing for the FFT
- U.S. Patent Application 2009-0049112 (approved, 2013):
"Interleaved method for parallel implementation of the Fast Fourier Transform,''
- "The Centered Discrete Fourier Transform and a Parallel Implementation of the FFT,'' Proceedings of the ICASSP '11, Prague, June, 2011, pp. 1725-1728.
Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, 1983-84.
Ph.D. - 1974 - Northwestern University
M.A. - 1971 - Northwestern University
B.A. - 1970 - University of Colorado, Boulder
Office: Honors Complex, Room 178
Tel: 330-972- 5365.