News for incoming Honors College students
Leadership Summit Programs
Sponsored by the College of Business Administration, the Leadership Summit Program offers a half day of leadership training for new Honors College students.
Each session will be filled on a first-come basis. Registration is required of all incoming Honors College students. Participation is also required of continuing UA students who are joining the Honors College in Fall, 2014.
Each incoming Honors College student is required to complete at least one session of this training plus attend the special session on August 21 at the beginning of the fall semester. Each session will be limited to 125 new Honors College students. Unless otherwise specified, the sessions listed below will be held in the Honors Common Room in the Honors Complex.
Each session will include a keynote speaker and smaller working group sessions:
- Sarah Antonucci, an Honors College alumna with an MBA and a Law degree. Currently working as an attorney in Cleveland. Thursday, 1-4:30 p.m., July 24
- Honors alumnus Kofie Sarkodie, currently with Houston Dynamo professional soccer. Thursday, 1-4:30 p.m., July 31
- UA Alumnus Scott Eastbourn, working with Virgin Galactic, California. Thursday, 1-4:30 p.m., August 7
- Honors alumna, Bridget Linton, currently with Fox TV Cleveland, Thursday, 1-4:30 p.m., August 1
- (Keynote speaker to be determined.) Friday, 1-4:30 p.m., September 12
Plus-Special Required session for ALL new Honors students: Thursday, August 21, at the beginning of the fall semester. STEM High School auditorium on Buchtel Avenue, across from the Honors Complex. The doors open at 1 p.m. and the address will begin at 1:30 p.m. Small group sessions will extend from 3-4:30 p.m.
- Mr. Tony Alexander, President and Chief Executive Officer, FirstEnergy Corporation, Akron. Thursday, August 21
August 25, Monday
Fall semester classes begin.
September 2, Tuesday
Honors Convocation for new students. 6:15 p.m. Student Union Ballroom A. This event is required for first-year Honors College students.
All Honors College student organizations will be present at the convocation. Current UA Honors students will give several short presentations on topics important to incoming Honors students. New students with conflicts should notify employers or professors as soon as possible so that all new Honors students can be present.
Be sure to remember to send your senior picture to us:
Honors College Dean's Office
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-1803
Summer New Student Orientation for Honors College students
At orientation, you will have the opportunity to become better acquainted with the Honors College staff, as well as complete your fall course schedule! If you haven't already done so, register at the University web site at this link: NSO
Orientation days for incoming Honors College students are scheduled about once a week through May-July. When you contact the Office of New Student Orientation, you will be directed to reserve an orientation time on one of those days. In general, the earlier you attend, the easier it is to register for Fall semester classes.