Talent Development and Human Resources

Separation from the University

Separation from the University

When an employee voluntarily or involuntarily separates from the university, this triggers a sequence of events, including the option of continuing health care coverage through COBRA and the end of participation in various benefit plans. Employees are encouraged to contact the benefits office to discuss the procedures for exiting the university.

Employees who voluntarily resign are asked to give as much advance notice as possible to their direct supervisor. A minimum two week written notice is requested for hourly employees. The university requests at least a four week written notice for supervisors, managers, directors, vice presidents and all other leadership positions. All university property, including keys, uniforms, identification badges, tools, library materials, etc., must be returned to the university prior to release of final paycheck. In addition, all full-time employees are responsible for completing the Clearance Form prior to the release of their final paycheck.

Assistance with retirement processing for staff members considering retirement from school employees retirement system "SERS" or public employees retirement system PERS(LE) is coordinated by benefits administration. Initial contact with that office should occur no less than three months prior to the anticipated effective date of retirement. Assistance is available to coordinate regular and disability retirements, service credit purchase and/or reinstatement of canceled credit.

Personnel action forms for separation

Separation Personnel Action Forms are used to initiate employee separations for Full Time Faculty, Full Time and Part Time Staff and Contract Professionals. These are also used for graduate assistant contracts.

Full Time

Part Time

Human Resources Information Services

Human Resources Information Services is located in the Administrative Services Building at 185 East Mill St, Akron, Ohio.

Mailing Address:  

The University of Akron
Human Resources
Akron, Ohio 44325-4730

Phone (330) 972-7096

Fax (330) 972-5195


Forms for separation

Clearance Form (PDF) (DOC) - This form must be completed by full-time employees leaving the University.

Help for Separation PAFs

If you need help entering information on a Separation PAF, please see the samples on the Separation PAFs Help page.


COBRA coverage information

Retirement information

Separation from the University - University Rule: 3359-26-05

The University of Akron

Akron, OH 44325
Phone: 330-972-7111
Contact us
Send mail & deliveries to UA