IB Admission Requirements
IB Ph.D. Program Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet The University admission requirements and have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution. Applicants must submit GRE scores (see below), three letters of recommendation, a statement of career goals and research interests, and note up to five faculty (rank-ordered) which they would be interested in having as their primary faculty advisor(s). Applicants are encouraged to view the list of participating faculty prior to submitting their formal applications. Applicants are encouraged to contact individual faculty to discuss possible inclusion in that faculty member's lab. International students should contact The University of Akron Graduate School for specific admission requirements.
Applicants will be ranked according to:
- Strong academic background as evidenced by grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0
- GRE scores for general test. Institution code = 1829; Department code = 0299 (Biological Sciences - Other).
- The GRE web site is: www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/
- Strong Letters of Recommendation (3 letters preferred)
- Level of student’s acceptability to an integrative bioscience program (as indicated in student's career goals and research interest statement)
- Willingness of one or more potential advisors to take student on as an advisee
- Foreign students, in addition to the above requirements, must have a First or Second Class Degree (a four year degree if from a foreign institution), take the TOEFL (scoring 550 or above for the paper test, 213 or above for the computer test, or 79 or above for the iBT test) for admission. A score of 50 or greater on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or a score of 23 or above on the spoken section of the TOEFL-iBT is required to qualify for a teaching assistantship.
- Substitutes for the TOEFL requirements are listed here.
- There is no deadline for applications. However, review of applications for Fall begin in mid January of the same year, and thus we recommend applying by January 10th for the best chance of getting an assistantship for a Fall enrollment.