To cap best-ever United Way campaign, UA leaders serve breakfast01/06/2012
Provost Mike Sherman serves breakfast to employees whose departments led the way in United Way campaign participation.
It was celebration time on Jan. 4, when the University thanked the groups on campus that were most supportive of UA's recently concluded United Way campaign.
During the campaign, colleges and administrative units engaged in a friendly competition for the highest participation rates, with the winning units treated to an elaborate breakfast prepared by members of the University's leadership team (with a little help from University Dining Services!).
The winning units were:
- Office of General Counsel with 100 percent participation,
- Capital Planning and Facilitates Management with 85 percent participation, and
- Information Technology Services with 83 percent participation.
Becky Hoover, vice president for talent development (above right), was joined on the serving line by Charles J. Fey, vice president for student success and engagement (below), Jim Sage (bottom right) and Ted Mallo (bottom left). Sage is vice president for information technology services and Mallo is vice president and general counsel.
Engagement was high in this year’s United Way campaign, with more 35 percent participation exceeding this year’s goal of 25 percent. Donations increased by $31,000 this year to more than $179,000 – the highest giving level on record at the University. Many of UA’s colleges and administrative units did achieve 50 percent or higher participation rates in this year’s RooNited Campaign.
Among those preparing breakfast was Mike Sherman, who is senior vice president, provost and chief operating officer.
“Congratulations on your achievement and thank you for your engagement in this year’s RooNited United Way campaign," he said to those in attendance at the breakfast, "and thank you for your commitment to our larger Akron community.”
UA leadership team members who helped in the breakfast preparation included:
- VP for Talent Development and Human Resources Becky Hoover,
- VP and General Counsel Ted Mallo,
- VP for Finance and Administration David Cummins,
- VP for Information Technology Jim Sage,
- Chief Marketing Officer Wayne Hill,
- Chief Communications Officer Eileen Korey,
- VP for Student Engagement and Success Charles J. Fey, and
- VP for Capital Planning and Facilities Management Ted Curtis.
Thank you to Gary Goldberg, director of dining services, and his staff for assisting the leadership team in preparing an impressive celebration and recognition of the accomplishments of this year’s 2011 United Way RooNited campaign.