What is a Certificate of Qualification for Employment (CQE)?
Senate Bill 337 became effective September 29, 2012 and created a Certificate of Qualification for Employment (CQE). A CQE may remove certain barriers (collateral sanctions) to employment for people who have committed felonies or misdemeanors and are finding it hard to get a government issued occupational license or a job with an employer. A CQE does not guarantee a license or a job, but it may help make the process easier.
To qualify to file a petition for a CQE in Summit County:
- You must currently live in Summit County, AND
- You have been convicted of or pled guilty to a felony or misdemeanor in the state of Ohio and it's been at least two years since you completed all of the terms of your sentence (including any probation, community supervision) & paid all of your court costs, AND
- You need a CQE to relieve a collateral sanction (penalty or disadvantage) you are facing so that you might be able to get a job or a occupational license.
*Note: A CQE cannot relieve you from:
- a requirement to register as a sex offender
- a driver's license suspension, cancellation, or revocation
- a restriction on employment as a prosecutor or law enforcement officer
- a denial, ineligibility, or suspension of a license as a health care professional if you: (1) were convicted of or pled guilty to murder, voluntary manslaughter, felonious assault, kidnapping, rape, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition, aggravated arson, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, or unlawful distribution of an abortion-inducing drug; (2) are addicted to or were found to be improperly distributing controlled substances; OR (3) are in default under a child support order
What information do I need to bring with me to the clinic?
There is now financial assistance available for the $100.00 CQE filing fee. In order to be considered for this financial assistance, you must bring the following to the clinic:
More information for providers:
You can view our training information for providers here.
For more information, please e-mail email@example.com.