What is a Certificate of Qualification for Employment (CQE)?
Senate Bill 337 became effective September 29, 2012 and created a Certificate of Qualification for Employment (CQE). A CQE may remove certain barriers (collateral sanctions) to employment for people who have committed felonies or misdemeanors and are finding it hard to get a government issued occupational license or a job with an employer. A CQE does not guarantee a license or a job, but it may help make the process easier.
To qualify to file a petition for a CQE in Summit County:
- You must currently live in Summit County, AND
- You have been convicted of or pled guilty to a felony or misdemeanor in the state of Ohio and it's been at least two years since you completed all of the terms of your sentence (including any probation, community supervision) & paid all of your court costs, AND
- You need a CQE to relieve a collateral sanction (penalty or disadvantage) you are facing so that you might be able to get a job or a occupational license.
*Note: A CQE cannot relieve you from:
- a requirement to register as a sex offender
- a driver's license suspension, cancellation, or revocation
- a restriction on employment as a prosecutor or law enforcement officer
- a denial, ineligibility, or suspension of a license as a health care professional if you: (1) were convicted of or pled guilty to murder, voluntary manslaughter, felonious assault, kidnapping, rape, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition, aggravated arson, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, or unlawful distribution of an abortion-inducing drug; (2) are addicted to or were found to be improperly distributing controlled substances; OR (3) are in default under a child support order
What information do I need to bring with me to the clinic?
- The login information (e-mail address and password) for your e-mail account.
Note: If you need to sign up for an e-mail account, please visit http://www.gmail.com to do so before attending the clinic. All Akron public library branches and The Job Center at 1040 E. Tallmadge Ave., Akron offer free computer and internet access that you can use to sign up for an e-mail address.
- Your social security number.
- If you're trying to get an occupational license, the name of the licensing board.
- Information (year, offense, county of conviction) about every criminal offense you have been convicted of or have pled guilty to.
Note: We cannot help you at the clinic if you have any pending criminal charges.
- The name, address, and phone number of each of your employers for the past 5 years and the dates that you worked there.
- The first and last name, address, and phone number for three references.
- The first and last name, address, and phone number for three immediate family members or other persons that you have a close relationship with that are different from your three references.
- Any documents related to the job or vocational license you're trying to get including proof that you are unable to get the job or license because of your criminal offense.
There is now financial assistance available for the $100.00 CQE filing fee. In order to be considered for this financial assistance, you must bring the following to the clinic:
- 2-4 consecutive pay stubs (if you are employed)
- Proof you are a parent of a child under age 18 residing in Summit County (mail with same address, birth certificate, social security card of child, school information with parent and child's name, child support documents)
- Proof of your current residence (lease, current mail)
More information for providers:
You can view our training information for providers here.
For more information, please e-mail email@example.com.