Constituted as 22nd Bombardment Group (Medium) on 22 Dec. 1939. Activated on 1 Feb. 1940. Trained with B-18 and B-26 aircraft, and used the latter to fly antisubmarine patrols off the west coast, Dec. 1941-Jan. 1942. Moved to the Southwest Pacific early in 1942, become part of Fifth AF, and served in combat in that area until V-J Day. Attacked enemy shipping, installations, and airfields in New Guinea and New Britain and supported ground forces in New Guinea, using B-26's until Oct. 1943 when B-25's were added. Continued to support the Allied offensive in New Guinea, striking troop concentrations, installations, and shipping, being awarded a DUC for knocking out enemy entrenchments (5 Nov. 1943) that were preventing the advance of Australian ground forces. Redesignated 22nd Bombardment Group (Heavy) in Feb. 1944. Equipped with B-24's, bombed Japanese airfields, shipping, and oil installations in Borneo, Ceram, and Halmahera. Began attacking the southern Philippines in Sept. 1944 to neutralize Japanese bases in preparation for the invasion of Leyte. From Dec. 1944 to Aug. 1945, struck airfields and installations on Luzon, supported Australian ground forces on Borneo, and bombed railways and industries in Formosa and China. Move to Okinawa in Aug. 1945 and flew some armed reconnaissance missions over southern Japan.
Remained in the theater after the war as part of Far East Air Forces. Transferred, without personnel and equipment, to the Philippines in Nov. 1945. Redesignated 22nd Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in April 1946. Transferred to Okinawa in May 1946, remanned in June, and equipped with B-29's. Moved to the US in May 1948. Assigned to Strategic Air Command. Redesignated 22nd Bombardment Group (Medium) in July 1948. Moved temporarily to Okinawa in July 1950 and attacked to Far East Air Forces for duty in the Korean War. Began combat immediately, and until Oct. 1950 attacked marshalling yards, bridges, highways, airfields, and industries and supported Un ground forces in Korea. Returned to the US, Oct.-Nov. 1950. Inactivated on 16 June 1952.