Locating historical decennial census data in Bierce Library
The print volumes of the decennial census are shelved under the SuDoc number corresponding to the agency that conducted the census. Materials with "OVERSIZE" in the call number are shelved at the end of the Government Documents collection, near the microforms section.
In addition to the volumes listed below, we have some of the 1990 and 2000 census data in print. Much of this data can be accessed using American FactFinder. Additional data may be available in CD-ROM format, particularly for the 1990 census.
Note: As of December 2010, the following volumes are known to be missing:
- 9th Census (1870)
- 18th Census (1960): Volume 1: Characteristics of the Population, Part 37: Ohio (C 3.223/9:960/pt.37)
If you need materials from these volumes, please consult the PDF version of the Census of Population and Housing made available by the U.S. Census Bureau. For further assistance, contact the Government Documents Librarian.
- I 2.5:[Bk.1] Return of the whole number of persons within the several districts of the United States...
- OVERSIZE I 3.5:[bk.1] Return of the whole number of persons within the several district of the United States…
- OVERSIZE I 4.5:Book 1 Aggregate amount of each description of persons within the United States of America, and the Territories there of...
- OVERSIZE I 5.5:Book 1 Census for 1820.
- OVERSIZE I 6.5:[Book 1] Fifth Census; or enumeration of the inhabitants of the United States, 1830.
- I 6.5:[bk.2] Abstract of the returns of the Fifth Census.
- OVERSIZE I 7.5:[Book 1] Sixth Census or enumeration of the inhabitants of the United States.
- OVERSIZE I 7.2:C 73 Compendium of the Enumeration of the inhabitants and statistics of the United States.
- I 8.5:Bk.1 The Seventh Census of the United States: 1850.
- I 8.2:C 73/2 [Compendium] Statistical view of the United States...
- I 9.5:[bk.1] Population of the United States in 1860.
- I 10.5:v.1 The statistics of the population of the United States…
- I 11.5:v.1 Statistics of the Population of the United States.
- I 12.5:[bk.15] Report on Population of the United States at the Eleventh Census.
- I 12.5:[bk.16] Report on Population of the United States at the Eleventh Census.
- I 13.5:v.1 Population: Population of States and Territories.
- I 13.5:v.2 Population Part II.
- C 3.16:v.1 Population: General Report and Analysis.
- C 3.16:v.2 Population: Reports by States Alabama-Montana.
- C 3.16:v.3 Population: Reports by States Nebraska-Wyoming.
- C 3.16:v.4 Population: Occupation Statistics.
- C 3.28/5:v.1 Population, 1920. Number and distribution of inhabitants.
- C 3.28/5:v.2 Population, 1920. General report and analytical tables.
- C 3.28/5:v.3 Population, 1920. Composition and characteristics of the population by states.
- C 3.28/5:v.4 Population, 1920. Occupations.
- C 3.37/5:P 81/v.1 Number and distribution of inhabitants.
- C 3.37/5:P 81/v.3/pt.2 Reports by states... Montana - Wyoming.
- C 3.940-5:P 81/v.1 Number of inhabitants.
United States Summary
- C 3.940-5:P 81/v.2/pt.1 Characteristics of the population. United States Summary and Alabama - District of Columbia.
- C 3.940-5:P 81/v.4/pt.1 Characteristics by age. United States Summary.
- C 3.940-5:P 81/v.2/pt.5 Characteristics of the population. Part 5. New York - Oregon.
- C 3.940-5:P 81/v.4/pt.4 Characteristics by age. Ohio - Wyoming.
- C 3.950-7/5:v.1 Number of Inhabitants.
- C 3.950-7/5:v.2/pt.1
- C 3.950-7/5:v.2/pt.35
- C 3.223/9:960/v.1/pt.A Characteristics of the Population. Number of Inhabitants.
- C 3.223/9:960/pt.1
- C 3.223/9:960/pt.37
- C 3.223/10:970/v.1/pt.A/Sec. 1 Characteristics of the Population. Number of Inhabitants.
- C 3.223/10:970/v.1/pt.A/Sec. 2 Characteristics of the Population. Number of Inhabitants.
- C 3.223/9:970/v.1/pt.1/Sec. 1
- C 3.223/9:970/v.1/pt.1/Sec. 2
- C 3.223/9:970/v.1/pt.37/Sec. 1
- C 3.223/9:970/v.1/pt.37/Sec. 2
- C 3.223/7:980/C 1
- C 3.223/8:980/D37/Sec. 3/pt.1
- C 3.223/8:980/D37/Sec. 3/pt.2