Finding Education Statistics
Here are the resources presented in the "Finding Education Statistcs" workshop, updated for Spring 2012.
National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
NCES is the federal entity responsible for gathering, analyzing, and disseminating data related to education in the United States. A few highlights:
- Common Core of Data: Fiscal and non-fiscal data about public schools, public districts, and state education agencies.
- School District Demographics System: Demographic and geographic data for school districts.
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP): Detailed information about how primary and secondary students are performing on standardized tests, grouped by demographic, economic, and social indicators. Some data is available at the state and large urban district levels.
- Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS): Data related to higher education institutions.
Ohio Department of Education (ODE)
ODE is the state entity that oversees education in Ohio. Commonly used tools from this resource:
- Ohio Report Cards: These report cards provide detailed progress reports of how students from each school are performing on standardized tests. Available at the school and district levels.
- State Report Card: A summary of the progress of the state as a whole on standardized measures.
Start with ICPSR. Some data may also be available in print resources.