See the Collection Development Policy for English.
Some of the databases listed on this page are for University of Akron students, faculty and staff only.
For detailed information on connecting from off-campus, see: Connecting to Online Resources.
For detailed information on connecting from off-campus, see: Connecting to Online Resources.
There are no articles in The UA Libraries Catalog or OhioLINK. You must search the following databases to find articles on your topic. Use a 'keyword' search to locate a relevant article, then use the 'subject' field to locate similar items. When you find an article in any database you must check The UA Libraries Catalog for the journal title. If Akron does not have the article you need, you must request the article with ILLiad.
To use these article databases from off-campus you will need to use UA VPN or OhioLINK Remote Authentication.Finding Full-Text Journals Online
- E-Journal Portal - Find full-text electronic journals available at The University of Akron. Search for title words/phrases or browse individual collections.
- Academic Search Complete - Academic Search Complete, designed specifically for academic institutions, is the world's most valuable and comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 5,300 full-text periodicals, including 4,400 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 10,900 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1865, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (ISI Web of Science) - Arts & Humanities Citation Index is a multidisciplinary database covering the journal literature of the arts and humanities.
- Dissertation Abstracts (ProQuest Dissertations & Theses) - Index to doctoral dissertations and master's theses from North America and Europe. Includes or has links to full text.
- Film & Television Literature Index - Film & Television Literature Index is a comprehensive bibliographic database covering the entire spectrum of television and film writing. It has been designed for use by a diverse audience that includes film scholars, college students, and general viewers. Subject coverage includes film & television theory, preservation & restoration, writing, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews.
- Humanities Full-Text - Contains full text for over 550 journals of interest in art, philosophy, history, communications, and general interest.
- Humanities International Complete - Humanities International Complete is a comprehensive database of humanities content, providing full text of hundreds of journals, books and other published sources from around the world. Produced by Whitston Publishing (an imprint of EBSCO Publishing), this database includes all data from American Humanities Index and Humanities International Index (over 1.6 million records) plus unique full text content.
- Literary Reference Center - Literary Reference Center™ is a comprehensive database that provides users with a broad spectrum of information on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and timeframes. It has been specifically designed for public libraries, secondary schools, junior/community colleges, and undergraduate research. Literary Reference Center is a full text database that combines information from major respected reference works, books, literary journals as well as original content from EBSCO Publishing. Literary Reference Center includes more than 10,000 plot summaries, synopses and work overviews, 75,000 articles of literary criticism, 130,000 author biographies, full text of over 300 literary journals, 500,000 book reviews, 25,000 classic and contemporary poems, 11,000 classic and contemporary short stories, full text of over 7,500 classic novels (anticipated by Fall 2006), 3,000 author interviews, and over 1,000 images of key literary figures. In addition, Literary Reference Center also includes Merriam Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of American Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of British Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of Children's Literature, The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, Beacham's Research Guide to Biography and Criticism (six volumes), The Oxford Illustrated History of English Literature, The Literary Encyclopedia, The Columbia Companion to the 20th Century American Short Story, all of MagillOnLiterature Plus™, the Bloom Series of over 500 books from Chelsea House Publishers edited by Harold Bloom, complete content of hundred of literary journals, and hundreds of literary books from Taylor & Francis, ME Sharpe, Peter Lang, Oxford University Press and many other publishers.
- MLA International Bibliography - Index to books and articles on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. Includes or has links to full text.
- World Shakespeare Bibliography Online - The World Shakespeare Bibliography Online provides annotated entries for all important books, articles, book reviews, dissertations, theatrical productions, reviews of productions, audiovisual materials, electronic media, and other scholarly and popular materials related to Shakespeare and published or produced between 1965 and early 2004. The scope is international, with coverage extending to more than 118 languages and representing every country in North America, South America, and Europe, and nearly every country in Asia, Africa, and Australasia. The more than 97,679 records in this version cite several hundred thousand additional reviews of books, productions, films, and audio recordings.
Many scholarly journals are offered in full-text. Use the following to locate full-text journals.
- Electronic Journal Center
- located on the University of Akron Libraries' website, provides online access to full-text versions of many journals useful for the study of English. Some of the titles available include:
American Literary History Modernism/modernity American Literary Scholarship Neohelicon American Literature New Literary History American Speech Poetics Assessing Writing Research in African Literatures Callaloo Resources for American Literary Study Chaucer Review SEL: Studies in English Literature Comparative Literature Studies Shakespeare Quarterly Computers and Composition SHAW The Annual of Bernard Shaw Studies Critical Quarterly The Southern Literary Journal Criticism TDR: The Drama Review Diacritics Texas Studies in Literature and Language Early American Literature Theatre Journal Eighteenth-Century Studies Victorian Poetry Elh World Englishes Emily Dickinson Journal Yale Journal of Criticism The Henry James Review Yale Review Modern Fiction Studies
- Electronic Journals - Browse a list of electronic journals on Language and Literature in the E-Journal Portal.
- OhioLINK Electronic Journals - Browse a list of OhioLINK electronic journals on Language and Literature in the EJC.
- Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature - Index to books, articles, reviews, collections, and dissertations in English studies.
- American & English Literature - A comprehensive bibliographic guide, providing nearly 40,000 records of the literary works of approximately 300 American writers from the American Revolution to 1930. Includes or has links to full-text.
- Feminist Literary Criticism: A Bibliography of Journal Articles - Reference Z6514 .C97 F76 1988
- Magill's Bibliography of Literary Criticism - Reference Desk Z6514 .C97 M3x
- The Year's Work in English Studies (1919 - present) - Reference PE58 .E6
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online - Full text of the Encyclopædia Britannica.
- Oxford English Dictionary - Historical dictionary of the English language.
- Oxford Reference Premium - Full text of about 100 dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works from Oxford University Press.
- The Cambridge History of English Literature. - Reference PR83 .C22 1967x V.1-15
- Dictionary of Literary Biography (Over 100 volumes on individual topics) - Click here for call numbers
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism - Reference PN81 .J545 1994
- Critical Survey of Drama - Reference PN623 .C75
- Critical Survey of Literary Theory (4 vols.) - Reference PN45.C74 1987
- Critical Survey of Poetry, English Language - Reference PN 1111 .C7
- Critical Survey of Short Fiction - Reference PN3373 .C7x
- Contemporary Literary Criticism - Reference PN771 .C59x
- Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism - Reference PN761 .N5
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism - Reference PN771.G27
- Guide to American Poetry Explication, Vol. 1, Colonial and Nineteenth Century - Reference Z1231 .P7 R66 1989
- Guide to American Poetry Explication, Vol. 2, Modern and Contemporary - Reference Z1231 .P7 L46 1989
Available through OhioLink
- African-American Poetry - 3000 poems by African-American poets in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Includes or has links to full-text.
- American Drama - American dramatic literature from 1714 to the present. Includes or has links to full-text.
- American Poetry - 40,000 poems of American writers from the 17th to the early 20th century. Includes or has links to full-text.
- Early American Fiction - 440 novels and short stories of 80 American writers, 1774-1850. Includes or has links to full text.
- Early English Books Online - From the first book published in English through the age of Spenser and Shakespeare, this incomparable collection now contains about 100,000 of over 125,000 titles listed in Pollard & Redgrave's Short-Title Catalogue (1475-1640) and Wing's Short-Title Catalogue (1641-1700) and their revised editions, as well as the Thomason Tracts (1640-1661) collection and the Early English Books Tract Supplement. Libraries possessing this collection find they are able to fulfill the most exhaustive research requirements of graduate scholars - from their desktop! - in many subject areas, including: English literature, history, philosophy, linguistics, theology, music, fine arts, education, mathematics, and science.
- Editions and Adaptations of Shakespeare - Full text of 11 major editions of Shakespeare's works, and related works. Includes or has links to full text.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online - Eighteenth Century Collections Online is a comprehensive digital edition of The Eighteenth Century, the world’s largest library of the printed book on microfilm, available through its imprint Primary Source Microfilm™. In the most ambitious single digitization project ever undertaken, nearly 150,000 English-language titles and editions published between 1701 and 1800 will be made available online over the course of the next two years. When complete, the product will allow full-text searching of more than 33 million pages of material, in essence, every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in the United Kingdom, along with thousands of important works from the Americas.
- Eighteenth Century Fiction - Full text of 96 works of prose fiction written in the British Isles, 1700-1780. Includes or has links to full text.
- English Poetry 600-1900 - More than 175,000 poems by over 1,400 poets from British Commonwealth and ex-colonial countries, 600-1900. Includes or has links to full text.
- English Prose Drama - Full text of over 1800 plays written in prose for the stage, from the Renaissance to the end of the 19th century. Includes or has links to full text.
- English Verse Drama - Full text of over 2200 works of poetry intended for the stage. Includes or has links to full text.
- 20th Century American Poetry - Over 52,000 works from more than 316 poets. Includes or has links to full-text.
- 20th Century English Poetry - Over 44,000 poems by 288 poets. Includes or has links to full-text
- William Butler Yeats Collection - The complete work of William Butler Yeats. Includes or has links to full text.
- IPL Online Literary Criticism Collection - Site with access to over 20,000 books; searchable
- Wright American Fiction - Texts of American fiction from the 19th Century.
Use web resource for research only as a last resort as it is often difficult to determine the authority and accuracy of the information. Please evaluate each website to make sure that it is authoritative.
- The English Server - Collection of online texts and resources in the arts and the humanities.
- Literature: Resources - Comprehensive site of links and full-text resources on many aspects of literature.
- Banned Books and Censorship - Annotated directory of resources on aspects of censorship and free expression.
- Critical/Literary Theory - Well-organized site of links to gateways, full-text resources and sites on theory.
- Electronic Poetry Center Home Page - Central gateway to electronic poetry and poetics.
- Medieval Sourcebook: Introduction - Site with links to all aspects of medieval studies; includes an index to selected sources for teaching, links to full text sources and a section on sources for saints' lives.
- Romantic Circles - Resources for the study of Romantic-period literature and culture.
- The Victorian Women Writers Project - Site of full-text works by British women writers of the 19th century; includes fiction, anthologies, political pamphlets, religious tracts, children's books, poetry and drama.