The Census Bureau's Subjects A-Z is a starting point for locating data collected by the Federal government. Use USA.gov or another search engine to locate up-to-date information or to find resources not listed here.
This resource replaces FedStats.gov, which was last updated in 2007.
"CDC.gov is CDC's primary online communication channel. From August 2007–July 2008, there were 489 million page views to the site, averaging 41 million page views per month. CDC.gov provides users with credible, reliable health information on:
- Data and Statistics
- Diseases and Conditions
- Emergencies and Disasters
- Environmental Health
- Healthy Living
- Injury, Violence and Safety
- Life Stages and Populations
- Travelers' Health
- Workplace Safety and Health
- And more...
from web site
"As the Nation’s principal health statistics agency, we compile statistical information to guide actions and policies to improve the health of our people. We are a unique public resource for health information–-a critical element of public health and health policy."
"Our health statistics allow us to:
- document the health status of the population and of important subgroups
- identify disparities in health status and use of health care by race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, region, and other population characteristics
- describe our experiences with the health care system
- monitor trends in health status and health care delivery
- identify health problems
- support biomedical and health services research
- provide information for making changes in public policies and programs
- evaluate the impact of health policies and programs
Working with partners throughout the health community, we use a variety of approaches to efficiently obtain information from the sources most able to provide information. We collect data from birth and death records, medical records, interview surveys, and through direct physical exams and laboratory testing. NCHS is a key element of our national public health infrastructure, providing important surveillance information that helps identify and address critical health problems." from web site