Subject Resources -- Sociology
To use these article databases from off-campus you will need to use UA VPN or OhioLINK Remote Authentication.
- Academic Search Complete - Academic Search Complete, designed specifically for academic institutions, is the world's most valuable and comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 5,300 full-text periodicals, including 4,400 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 10,900 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1865, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
- Dissertation Abstracts (ProQuest Dissertations & Theses) - Index to doctoral dissertations and master's theses from North America and Europe. Includes or has links to full text.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook - Mental Measurements Yearbook, produced by the Buros Institute, contains fulltext information about and reviews of all English-language standardized tests covering educational skills, personality, vocational aptitude, psychology, and related areas as included in the printed Mental Measurements Yearbooks. This database product contains data from Yearbooks 9 through 15.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection - Index, abstracts, and full text covering topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry and psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods. Includes or has links to full text.
- PsycINFO 1967- - Index and abstracts of articles, books, chapters, dissertations, and reports in psychology. Includes or has links to full text.
- Social Sciences Citation Index (ISI Web of Knowledge) - Index, abstracts, and cited references for articles in the social sciences. Includes or has links to full text.
- SocINDEX with Full Text - SocINDEX with Full Text is the world's most comprehensive and highest quality sociology research database. The database features more than 1,600,000 records with subject headings from a 15,600 term sociological thesaurus designed by subject experts and expert lexicographers. SocINDEX with Full Text contains full text for 253 "core" coverage journals dating back to 1895, and 72 "priority" coverage journals. This database also includes full text for 547 books and monographs, and full text for 6,711 conference papers.
- Sociological Abstracts - Index and abstracts to articles in sociology. Includes or has links to full text. Sociological Abstracts is no longer updated (1963-2005).
- Sociological Collection - Index, abstracts, and full text covering sociology, including social behavior, human tendencies, interaction, relationships, community development, culture and social structure. Includes or has links to full text.
- netLIBRARY - Online books on many subjects. For off-campus access, first create a personal netLibrary account while on campus.
- Sociology: A Guide to Reference and Information Sources (Bierce Reference HM 51 .A249 2005)
- Required Reading: Sociology's Most Influential Books (Wayne HM 73 .R45 1998)
- The International Handbook of Sociology (Bierce Reference HM 585 .I57 2000)
- The Sociology Student Writer's Manual (Bierce HM 73 S637 2000)
- Directory of Members (American Sociological Association)(Bierce Reference HM 9 A43 2001)
- Guide to Graduate Departments of Sociology 2001 (Bierce Reference LB 2372 S6 G94x 2001)
- Encyclopedia of Sociology (Bierce Reference HM 425 E5 2000)
- The Blackwell Dictionary of Sociology (Bierce Reference HM 17 J64 2000)
- The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology (Bierce Reference HM 17 A23 2000)
Use web resource for research only as a last resort as it is often difficult to determine the authority and accuracy of the information. Please evaluate each website to make sure that it is authoritative.
- General Social Survey
- County and City Data Book 2007
- U. S. Census Bureau
- ICPSR - ICPSR maintains and provides access to an archive of social science data in electronic format. Its holdings include data sets relevant to the study of political science, sociology, demography, history, economics, international relations, gerontology, public health, criminal justice, education and many other fields.
- California Sociological Association
- Pacific Sociological Association
- Southern Sociological Society
- Mid-South Sociological Association
- North Central Sociological Association
- Midwest Sociological Society
- American Sociological Association
- Eastern Sociological Society
- Digital Media Center - OhioLINK - Several databases of electronic images or videos; will eventually also include sound, numeric data, and other types of electronic media.