Some of the databases listed on this page are for University of Akron students, faculty and staff only.
- Libraries Home Page
- Ask a Librarian - Phone, email, or chat with a librarian
- Renew Library Materials & View Your Library Record - All library notices are sent to your uakron.edu email account. Check this email account often or forward it to another email account.
- Connect to Online Resources from Home (Off-Campus) - This is a means of connecting to the University's databases, including online articles, from home. This link does not work for Vista. There is software that must be installed to establish the VPN using Vista (instructions). Be sure to read the entire WIKI including when the Cisco Client will not work.
If you cannot connect using the VPN and you want to connect to Cinahl from Off-Campus, you can use OhioLINK Authentication. You can use OhioLINK Authentication for Cinahl because Cinahl is an OhioLINK Resource.
- UA Libraries Catalog - First place to search for books, and to see if we have subscriptions to magazines and journal titles.
- OhioLINK Central Catalog - Second place to search when UA Catalog does not have the materials you want. Over 80 libraries in Ohio share their resources. You can get a book from OhioLINK in 3-5 business days.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) - Use when UA Libraries and OhioLINK Libraries do not have the book you want. Use to order any articles you cannot get through the UA Libraries.
- Academic Search Complete - Academic Search Complete, designed specifically for academic institutions, is the world's most valuable and comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 5,300 full-text periodicals, including 4,400 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 10,900 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1865, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
- Biological Abstracts/BIOSIS Previews - Index and abstracts to international journal articles in biological and medical research. BIOSIS Previews also covers books and meetings. Includes or has links to full-text.
- LexisNexis Academic - Full text news, business, legal, medical, and reference information. Includes or has links to full text.
- NewsBank Newspapers - Online full-text newspapers, including 17 Ohio newspapers. Includes or has links to full text.
- Newspaper Source - Newspaper Source contains selected full text for 245 regional U.S. newspapers, eighteen international newspapers, six newswires, nine newspaper columns, and cover-to-cover full text for The Christian Science Monitor and The Los Angeles Times. This database also contains indexing and abstracts for four national newspapers.
- CNN - Online news stories, major current events
- Newsweek Magazine - Online access as well as print subscription at Bierce Library
- Time Magazine - Online access as well as print subscription at Bierce Library
- New York Times - Print subscription at Bierce Library
- American Scientist Magazine - Online access as well as print subscription at the Science & Technology Library
- Popular Science Magazine - Online access as well as print subscription at Bierce Library
- Akron Beacon Journal - Access to recent editions online as well as print subscription at Bierce and the Science & Technology Libraries
- Washington Post - Print subscription at Bierce Library
- New Scientist - Online access as well as print subscription at the Science & Technology Library
- National Geographic - Print subscription at Bierce Library