Techniques of Research
Some of the databases listed on this page are for University of Akron students, faculty and staff only.
- Education Research Complete - Education Research Complete is the definitive online resource for education research. This massive file offers the world’s largest and most complete collection of full text education journals. Education Research Complete also covers areas of curriculum instruction as well as administration, policy, funding, and related social issues.
- ERIC (Ebsco) - ERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and resources. ERIC provides full text of more than 2,200 digests along with references for additional information and citations and abstracts from over 1,000 educational and education-related journals.
- Mental Measurements Yearbook - Mental Measurements Yearbook, produced by the Buros Institute, contains fulltext information about and reviews of all English-language standardized tests covering educational skills, personality, vocational aptitude, psychology, and related areas as included in the printed Mental Measurements Yearbooks. This database product contains data from Yearbooks 9 through 15.
- Professional Development Collection [Educators] - Index, abstracts, and full text for professional educators. Includes or has links to full text.
- PsycINFO 1967- - Index and abstracts of articles, books, chapters, dissertations, and reports in psychology. Includes or has links to full text.
Many scholarly journals are offered in full-text. Use the following to locate full-text journals.
- EJC - Full text of 6000+ research journals. Includes or has links to full text.
- Electronic Journals - Browse the UA Libraries Catalog for a list of electronic journals subscribed to by The University of Akron Libraries.
Much research is never published in a journal or a book. This research is often difficult to find using article databases and library catalogs. Use the following to find more research on your topic. When you find an item in any database you must check the UA Libraries Catalog for the title.
- Dissertation Abstracts (ProQuest Dissertations & Theses) - Index to doctoral dissertations and master's theses from North America and Europe. Includes or has links to full text.
- Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center (OhioLINK) - The ETD Center is a free, online database of Ohio’s masters and doctoral theses and dissertations from participating OhioLINK member schools. It contains the abstract for all included theses and dissertations. The full-text is also available if it was submitted.
- Education Management Information System (EMIS) - Ohio
- ODE (Ohio Department of Education) Assessment Results
- Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study
- ICPSR - ICPSR maintains and provides access to an archive of social science data in electronic format. Its holdings include data sets relevant to the study of political science, sociology, demography, history, economics, international relations, gerontology, public health, criminal justice, education and many other fields.
- The Nation's Report Card (NAEP)
- NCES School District Demographics
Use web resource for research only as a last resort as it is often difficult to determine the authority and accuracy of the information. Please evaluate each website to make sure that it is authoritative.
- APA Tip Sheet (University of Southern Mississippi Library)
- Citation Styles for Research Papers - Includes links to examples of APA, MLA, Turabian, Chicago, and AMA (American Medical Association) citation styles. There is also a link to an online version of William Strunk, Jr.'s "The Elements of Style."