PhD in Nursing
The PhD in Nursing is a joint program between The University of Akron School of Nursing and Kent State University College of Nursing.
Like a shooting star, aim high, and strike a star-bright path.
The focus of the Ph.D. program is to prepare nurse scholars with expertise in discovery and integration, and it provides opportunities for the development of scholarship in application and teaching.
As a nursing scholar, you gain the ability and the opportunity to develop nursing knowledge, shape health care policy and advance new avenues of patient care.
Throughout the Ph.D. program, you will be involved in a vibrant exchange of ideas on many levels addressing important health care issues. After graduation with the doctorate, you will be able to shape the vision of nursing in research, advocacy, service and education.
*The design of the objet d'art was donated by our local artist, Don Drumm, of Akron, Ohio, exclusively for graduates of the PhD in Nursing Program.
Overview and admission information
Tuition and Cost
The University of Akron provides an affordable tuition and fee schedule. Scholarships as well as part-time and full-time graduate assistantships, including both tuition and a stipend, are available. Learn more.
Curriculum planning worksheets
Preliminary exam (effective for students admitted prior to fall 2015)
- Examination protocol
- Students entering the program during and after Fall 2009
- Students entering the program during and after 2005
- Application for scheduling candidacy exam (Word doc)
- Report of candidacy exam (Word doc)
- Practice candidacy exam questions (PDF)
Dissertation and graduation
- Dissertation guidelines (.docx)
- KSU dissertation topic and prospectus form
- KSU CON Graduation and Dissertation Timelines
- KSU CON Dissertation StyleGuide
- UA Graduate School Dissertation Guidelines
- Application for graduation: University of Akron | Kent State University
- Directions for electronic (ETD) submission