Undergraduate International Admissions

Requirements for undergraduate admission


International students are not required to take the SAT or the ACT for standard admission.

However, these tests may be required for direct admission and scholarship consideration. Therefore, it is very important that you read the scholarship application information carefully.

For test schedule information, see

English proficiency

The University requires students for whom English is not the native language to take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Michigan English Laboratory Assessment Battery (MELAB).

Please note the institutional TOEFL (ITP Test) is not accepted by The University of Akron.

TOEFL applications may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).

The IELTS is jointly administered by Cambridge (ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia. The MELAB is a secure test battery and is administered only by the ELI-UM and ELI-UM authorized official examiners in the US and Canada.

Minimum requirements

71 6.0 430 18 69

TOEFL, IELTS and MELAB scores are valid for two years from the test date. The University of Akron accepts only valid test scores.

Conditional admission is offered to students who are academically acceptable but who have not yet obtained the level of English proficiency required for full admission. Students who meet these criteria may attend the University's English Language Institute or ELI. Students enrolled in the ELI may not enroll in undergraduate coursework until they have successfully completed ELI.

English Language Institute

For more information about the English Language Institute, contact:

English Language Institute, 
The University of Akron, Olin Hall, Room 302 
Akron, OH 44325-1909 USA
Phone: 330-972-7544
Fax: 330-972-7353
Web: English Language Institute site

Applicants who have satisfactorily completed nine months of full-time academic coursework at a U.S. college/university and are in good standing at that institution, or international students who have graduated from an Ohio high school and passed all parts of the Ohio Graduation Test, may have the English proficiency requirement waived upon written request to, and final approval from, the Office of International Programs.

Note: Students who do not meet the English Proficiency requirement are not eligible for the June Thomas Rogers International Student Scholarship.

Transfer credit

Students who have attended an academic institution in the United States must have the official transcripts submitted by that institution.

If you are applying as a transfer student from another institution in the United States, you need to submit special forms in order to maintain your immigration status. Those forms can be found here.

Institutional accreditation

For credit transfer consideration or standard admission, the college/university must be accredited at the time of class attendance. It is the student's responsibility to verify accreditation of the institution.


International students concerned about transfer credit may choose to have their credentials evaluated in advance by a third party. Two such services are:

AACRAO International Education Services
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 520
Washington, DC 20036


World Education Services (WES)
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

See a list of suggested evaluation services: Evaluation Services


The University requests that you submit official transcripts or certified true copies from all high schools/secondary schools, universities/colleges and/or professional schools you have attended during your academic career.

Certified true copies must bear the official stamp and signature of the appropriate academic officer. If the language of instruction for the institution is not English, an exact certified English translation must be provided also.

Transcripts should indicate the grading key, grade point average (GPA) equivalent to a 4.0 scale, and institutional accreditation.

Notarized copies are not true copies and are not acceptable.


Applicants must submit supporting documentation for all earned degrees indicated on the application. Provisional certificates may be accepted pending the award of a degree.

High school or secondary school students must show proof of graduation before they will be permitted to register for their first semester.

The same standards of authenticity for listed degrees/transcripts apply.


Apply now

You have two options:

  1. Apply using University of Akron application
  2. Apply using The Common Application

 Students who are permanent residents, in refugee status or in asylum status should apply through our admissions process for domestic students.

Check on status of application

Need an update on the status of your application? Send an email to

Pay admissions fee

You may pay your admissions fee online.


Virtual tour of our campus