Obtaining Credit

UA Exchanges & Non-UA Programs: Transient Permission

All students participating in a UA-sponsored exchange or a non-UA program must complete and submit a Transient Permission Form (TPF) with all necessary signatures to the Office of International Programs prior to departure.  The TPF identifies the courses a student will take abroad and how they will apply to his/her degree program at UA.  The student’s transcript cannot be processed and work posted to DARS without transient permission for each course that appears on the transcript.

Students must work with their academic advisors and the appropriate departments to obtain equivalencies for each course to be taken abroad.  Equivalencies may be anything from simply identifying the class as an “elective” to assigning a specific corresponding UA course, and approval must be obtained from the UA academic unit that owns the equivalency sought. Equivalencies for general education requirements must be approved by the Associate Vice-President for Integrated Student Success, whose office is on the third floor of Simmons Hall. Some advisors may take care of this legwork for students, while others will have the students take the responsibility themselves.

Students access course information available from the partner institution and/or program sponsor and take as much as much as possible with them to meet with the appropriate advisor.  Students should obtain course descriptions at minimum, but syllabi—if available—are even better.  In some locations, course information for the exact term the student will abroad will not be available in sufficient time to complete the TPF.  In this case, students use the course information for the same term of the previous year for reference.  Given the nature of many international education systems, course offerings are roughly the same during a given term each academic year. 

As it is not always possible to guarantee successful registration for specific classes, students should obtain equivalencies for their primary course choices, as well as an equal number of alternates.  Students abroad for multiple consecutive terms, e.g. a full academic year, should obtain equivalencies for all terms prior to departure. 

In the event a student is forced to take one or more classes not pre-approved, equivalencies may obtained while the student is abroad or retroactively upon return.  However, the earlier they are obtained, the smoother the transfer process will be once the transcript arrives.

A general Transient Permission Form may be downloaded below.  Some colleges, such as the College of Arts and Sciences and the Honors College, have their own college-specific forms.  Students in such colleges should use the college’s form rather than the general form.

Non-UA Programs: Transient Student Abroad Report

Students participating in non-UA Programs must also complete and submit to Education Abroad the Transient Student Abroad Report.

UA Exchanges & Non-UA Programs: Transcripts

All education abroad transcripts must be sent to the Office of International Programs, rather than to the Office of the University Registrar.  Prior to the student returning home, he/she should verify with the on-site coordinator or program sponsor that his/her transcript will be sent to the following address:

Office of International Programs
The University of Akron
302 Buchtel Common
Akron, OH 44325-3101

Faculty-Led & Departmental Programs

Students participating in UA-sponsored faculty-led and departmental programs should consult the faculty program director with questions regarding credit and registration.

International Internships

Students wishing to earn academic credit for international internships should consult the appropriate department or college internship coordinator to discuss how to do so.  Different academic areas have specific criteria internships must meet in order to be credit-worthy.  Typically, students will need to either register for an internship course at UA while abroad or, in instances in which a partner institution issues credit for the internship, complete a transient permission form as above.

Students not interested in earning credit may complete the internship as a co-op.  In this case, students should work with Career Services to register for their zero-credit co-op course. 

Engineering students completing international co-ops should work with the College of Engineering’s co-op office.

More information for students

Why Study Abroad?

Selecting a program

Finding a program

Applying to a program

Financial aid and scholarships

Obtaining credit

Health and safety

Returning students