Public Administration and Urban Studies

Our Mission

Welcome to the virtual home of the Department of Public Administration and Urban Studies (PAUS) at The University of Akron. The goal of the department is to enhance the quality of public service through civic education, training and research. To meet that goal we offer a variety of degree programs, certificates, courses, seminars and workshops. If you are interested in furthering your career, providing better services to the public, or developing a broader civic perspective, we may have events, programs and degrees that fit your needs. 

Frequently Asked Questions about Public Administration and Urban Studies

When is the admissions deadline?

The department uses rolling admissions. There is no single deadline.

What is the MPA?

The MPA prepares students for careers in public and non-profit management and administration. Students take 27 core credit hours, three hours internship, plus 15 hours in a specialization of personal interest: emergency management, non-profit management, program evaluation or urban management.

How many units or credits are required for the MPA and JD/MPA degrees?

The MPA degree is a minimum of 39/42 credits.

The JD/MPA is a minimum of 30/33 credits

How many years does it usually take to earn the MPA?

The MPA, on a full-time basis and year round, would require at least 21 months. More commonly, it would take 2 years. Full-time graduate course work is set at a minimum of 9 units per semester.

What financial assistance is available?

Full-time graduate students may be eligible for graduate assistantships, which are awarded competitively.

Part-time students are not eligible for financial aid, but all students may be eligible for funding from outside sources.

Information is available through the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Is there a minimum GPA for each program?

MA and MPA require a 2.8 overall undergraduate or a 3.05 in the last 60 units. Provisional admission may be granted for GPA from 2.50 – 2.79. A standardized test (GRE, GMAT, LSAT) will be required of applicants with less than a 3.00 GPA.

Is there a GPA requirement to receive financial assistance?

All students must remain in good standing with the university to receive financial assistance. Please contact the University of Akron's Office of Financial Aid.

Are Graduate Assistantships available?

Graduate Assistantships are available. However they are highly competitive and given to those students with the requisites as oultlined by the department.

What can you do with each of the degrees?

MPA agraduates currently work in state, county, and local governments; a number of non-profit organizations and foundations; international bodies; and for research groups and consulting firms. Several have achieved elective office.

The JD/MPA degree is designed to prepare students for careers in government or non-profit organizations who plan to combine law with public service.

Is there diversity participation in the program?

The faculty and students of the department and university are diverse culturally and ethnically. This includes significant international representation.

Can I apply before I graduate?

Students are encouraged to begin the application process before graduating from the qualifying undergraduate or graduate program in which you may be currently attending. Per The University of Akron Graduate School. admission is pending graduation.

Who will need to take the TOFEL?

Students for whom English is not a primary language must pass the TOFEL. This requirement may be waived if an undergraduate or graduate degree has previously been earned at a US American university or college.

When do I need to submit my documentation and to whom?

The official application is completed online to the graduate school. Official transcripts, official test scores, and letters of recommendation should be submitted to the Graduate School, as well as the department. Other documents may be mailed or submitted in person.