FOR THE SHEER LOVE OF WISDOM
- To satisfy a need to know
- Because it is interesting
FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL PREPARATION
- Provides a solid foundation in the Western intellectual tradition
- Promotes critical reading and writing skills
- Fosters a critical mindset
- Encourages thinking outside the box
- Develops logical skills
LAW SCHOOLS AND PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS LOOK FAVORABLY ON A BACKGROUND IN PHILOSOPHY
Law Schools are looking for people with
- Critical reading and writing skills
- Training in logical thinking
- Ability to construct precise arguments in defense of ideas
Business Schools are looking for NON-business majors who are
- Unconventional in their way of looking at issues
- Capable of discovering new paradigms
PHILOSOPHY IS EXCELLENT PREPARATION FOR ANY JOB WHERE YOU ARE REQUIRED TO THINK
Philosophy students develop many functional skills which can be transferred from one career/job to another and provide flexibility and capacity for growth that employers find valuable.
These skills include analytical, organizational, research, and oral and written communication. Abilities include generating ideas, formulating and solving problems, integrating diverse data, constructing useful analogies, adapting to change, eliciting hidden assumptions, persuading people, and summarizing complicated material.
Philosophy students develop aptitudes for analytical thinking, logic, and statistics in order to apply philosophy to a broad range of professions such as: law, government, finance, management consulting, and related areas.