Strategic Thinking Task Force (WOW)
Distinctive Competencies Task Force
February 4, 2000
To discover, present and publicize quality programs and activities (research, training, service, scholarship, student services, etc.) - current and emerging - at The University of Akron which are distinct from those offered by our competitors.
Charges to task force:
- Clarify and secure comprehensive descriptions of competencies already ranked high during the first retreat.
- Identify the distinctive nature of the competencies from the first retreat. (Why are we unique, different?)
- Identify and define other distinctive competencies at The University of Akron.
- Begin to group competencies in various clusters (some competencies may appear in various clusters depending on the area of specialization utilized. For example a program might have a tremendous outreach component and have high technical content; it could be grouped into both the science and technology and in the community outreach clusters.)
- Use current clusters
- Suggest new clusters
- Define the unique character of various clusters.
- Engage in dialogue with other task forces, especially the Opportunities Task Force and the Competitive Market Changes in Education Task Force to determine which competencies fit best with their findings and how the competencies or clusters could be encouraged and marketed.