and Homeland Security
Emergency Management is the management and understanding of risk so that societies can live with environmental and/or technological hazards and properly prepare for the disasters they may cause. This profession continues to grow as disasters and major emergencies become more frequent and costly, and as response continues to become more complex. In addition, federal and state legislation has increased the demand at all levels of government, business, and industry for well-educated individuals skilled in emergency planning and preparedness. Emergency Management is managing disasters for both public and private institutions, and the education to meet that need is finally HERE!
Program outcomes and assessment
The University of Akron offers a Bachelor of Science degree in emergency management that is . . .
- the only Emergency Management and Homeland Security Bachelor of Science degree of this type available in Ohio.
- the only Emergency Management and Homeland Security B.S. degree program accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress.
- one of only a handful of emergency management bachelor degrees in the United States.
In addition to our Bachelor of Science degree, we also offer a Certificate in Emergency Management and Homeland Security, consisting of 30 credit hours.
The University of Akron's Emergency Management and Homeland Security program is offered in various modes to fit your busy schedule. No matter what you do - one of our course deliveries are bound to fit!
- Distance learning classes offered at many Ohio community college campuses
- Totally on-line web classes with flexible schedules
- Traditional face to face classes on Akron's campus
For more information
For more information on the new, exciting field of Emergency Management, please contact:
Stacy Willett, Ph.D.
Professor & Program Director
- Business & Industry Council for Emergency Planning & Preparedness
- Ohio Dept. of Public Safety; Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Contingency Planners of Ohio
- Natural Hazards Center at the University of Colorado, Boulder
- American Red Cross
- The Salvation Army
“The Center for Emergency Management and Homeland Security Policy Research at The University of Akron is dedicated to create a supportive environment for research, academics, and outreach in Emergency Management and Homeland Security. This Center will support and encourage multidisciplinary endeavors in these fields that will make a positive contribution to society.”
Admissions information and application
The College of Applied Science and Technology (CAST) supports the Tech Prep curriculum and the college prep core curriculum. CAST will accept all conditionally and unconditionally admitted students into its programs and determine the course of required prescriptive activities for conditionally admitted students on an individual basis. Upon individual assessment, students are advised as to the courses they should take.
To receive an application for admission or if you need any additional information about applying to the University, please contact the Office of Admissions:
Office of Admissions
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-2001
Contact CAST Academic Advising, located in Polsky 301, for information and updates.