Arrange to have an officer check your property over break
For a burglar, student housing around college campuses can be alluring because the burglar knows that many of the homes will be unoccupied at times throughout the year. That’s why UA police and the city police will team up again to make periodic checks of unoccupied student homes in the areas shaded in blue over break.
- Though this free program should help deter break-ins, there’s no guarantee implied.
- Officers are unable to check on individual apartments in large complexes.
- Please do not register for the program if someone else (like a roommate) will be in your campus home/rental over break.
Sign up for away-from-home checks
Area covered by UA's 'Away from Home' service
Other steps to consider
Here are a number of steps you can take make your home less attractive to criminals:
- Make your home look as lived-in as possible while you’re away.
- Have your residence secured with a security system that makes notification to the proper emergency response agencies.
- Give a spare key to a neighbor you trust and give them an emergency telephone number to reach.
- Arrange to have your mail and newspapers either stopped or picked up daily.
- Have someone clear the snow or make tracks to your entrances so your house looks lived-in.
- Use automatic timers to turn on a radio, television and lights at different times to hide the fact you are not home.
- Be sure you don’t announce your absence on social media sites.
- Leave your blinds like you normally would if you were home. Only close them all the way if that is what you would normally do.
- Do not leave flat screen TVs in view from the street.
- Be sure to close and lock the garage as well as any storage sheds, gates, etc.
- Engrave all your valuables with your driver’s license number. If possible, videotape the contents of your home. Be sure to keep the video and the list of valuables in a safe location.
- Ask your neighbor to occasionally park in your driveway. If you are leaving a vehicle parked outside, have the neighbor move it periodically so it looks as though you are home.
Questions? Call the Office of Off Campus Student Services at 330-972-5500.