Undergraduate Program Curriculum Requirements
The bachelor's degree in social work requires completion of a minimum of 128 credits, 46 of which should be under the social work major. No credit is awarded for life experience or for prior work experience.
Students wishing to major in social work must request an intercollege transfer to the College of Health Professions, School of Social Work from their current college. A 2.75 grade point average and 30 credit hours is required for admission to the School. Once admitted to the School, a separate admissions packet must be completed with the School in order to be admitted as a social work major in good standing.
Please note recent curriculum changes:
Beginning with the the fall 2015 semester, two major changes are in place:
- The social work degree requires 120 credits;
- Students may take any non-required 7750 course to meet the 6 credits of 7750 electives, including the 200-level courses in Addiction.
Students who are already declared social work majors BEFORE August 31, 2015 must complete 128 credits.
Students who are declared social work majors AFTER August 31, 2015 must complete 120 credits.
A liberal arts base
The social work major is built on the liberal arts base which is contained within the General Education Program of The University. Nine courses comprise the liberal arts base for the social work major:
|Course number||Course title|
|3750:100||Introduction to Psychology|
|3100:103||Natural Science Biology|
|3850:100||Introduction to Sociology|
|7750:276||Introduction to Social Welfare|
|7750:275||Introduction to Social Work Practice|
|7750:270||Diversity and Social Work (formerly known as Poverty & Minority Issues)|
|7750:427||Human Behavior and Social Environment I|
|3250:100||Introduction to Economics
|3250:200||Principles of Microeconomics
|2040:247||Survey of Basic Economics|
|3700:100||Government and Politics in the U.S.
|2040:242||American Urban Society|
Admission to the social work major
Students are required to complete an application process known in the School of Social Work as the pending process which is outlined in the Pending Checklist. Requirements for admission to the social work major include:
- Acceptance into the College of Health Professions
- A minimum GPA 2.75 for all courses
- 30 credit hours is required
- Completion of all General Education requirements for the four year degree, including math and English (exception: Humanities and Area Studies requirements, may be taken later)
- Completion of nine courses comprising the liberal arts base for the social work major (see courses listed immediately above)
- Completion of 500-word, typed, double-spaced autobiographical statement explaining the student's interest in social work
- Three professional recommendation forms completed and submitted (i.e. college advisors, professors, and employers)
- Complete Request for Application Review form