MSW Field Education Information and Forms
Upcoming Field Orientation Scheduled
Who should attend: Foundation students moving into Concentration Year- Fall 2016
[Full-time students entering their second year and Part-time students entering their fourth year]
When: Friday, March 4, 2016, 1:00 p.m. -3:00 p.m., Polsky Building, Room 497
Why: Preparation for final field placement-specializations
Optional or Required: Required
Contact person: Becky Thomas 330-972-5682
ALERT: Foundations students interested in VA for Concentration Year Placement
Step#1: Read entire VA Application Packet [including FAQ]
Step #2: Complete Application, Statement of Interest, & Create a resume
Step #3: Electronically submit completed Application, Statement of Interest, and your Resume
Step #4: Electronically submit all documents to Professor Becky Thomas no later than Thursday, February 11, 2016, 5:00 p.m. (Note: Professor Thomas will submit all UA student documents by February 12th to the VA) No documents should be sent directly to VA.
Students preparing to enter Field Education
Helpful tip to edit field documents using Word - Once word document is open, go to the top of the page and select View- then click on Edit. Your word document is ready for you to insert your specific student information.
Field Application Process, Schedule, and Forms
- Locate Field Placement Schedule -New Admits
- Locate Field Placement Schedule - All Continuing Students
- Locate Field Placement Schedule- Lakewood Students in First Semester Only
- MSW Field Orientation Quick Overview - Entering & Continuing Students
- Foundation Orientation Notes
- Concentration Orientation Notes
- MSW Field Application
- FERPA Form
- Prior to Interview Choice Form
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgment
- NASW Code of Ethics- Read prior to submitting FERPA & Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement Forms
- After Interview Choice Form
- Field At Place of Employment Proposal - (FAPE)
- Agency Acceptance Form
- Agency Response Sheet
- HIPAA Quick Training Module
- Take HIPAA Quiz
- Agency Roster - New Web-based Roster
Welcome social work students to an extensive listing of potential field placements available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Search by Agency Name, Program type, County, Practice Areas, & Agency Availability (coming soon)
- User-friendliness and relevance are our priority for this document. Your feedback is essential. Please let us know if we met our mark to: email@example.com
- Identified an agency that is not on this list? no problem Check to ensure that there is a master level social worker available to be your field instructor, this same social worker is employed by the organization for a minimum of one year and graduated, a minimum of two years from an accredited university.
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. On-campus fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60. for both BCI & FBI.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation & Treatment of uncomplicated illness & injury;
Immunizations/Tuberculin skin testing; Academically required physical examinations; and
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of this department.
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20.00 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Naomi White a check made out to The University of Akron. Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000. & Aggregate - 3,000,000.). Beginning Spring 2014, the School of Social Work will encourage all students to purchase liability insurance.
- Social Work Trainee License
Applying for a Social Worker Trainee License?* - free trainee license available for each academic year while active in your field placement.*
Upon completion of application, contact Naomi White, your field coordinator regarding your application for trainee license in order for her to send an email to the CSWMFT Board verifying your educational and placement status with the School of Social Work.
*A BCI (state) & FBI (national) criminal records check will be required to obtain your Trainee License - cost ~$60. for both.
On-campus fingerprinting and background checks available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police
Interview Preparation & Acknowledgement
- Sample Introductory Email to Prospective Field Agency/Instructor
- Possible Interview Questions
- Sample Thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample Thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- Guidelines for Practicum Selection- coming soon
- University of Akron's Career Center -In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you': including, but not limited to, assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni.
Field Education Manual/Field Syllabi
- Field Manual
- Holiday Policy
- Foundation - Field Education Syllabus
- Concentration-Micro Field Education Syllabus
- Concentration - Macro Field Education Syllabus
Students currently in their Field Placement/Practicum
Documentation of Field Hours
- FAQs Time & Tasks Log
- Example of Completed Time & Tasks Log
- Blank MSW Field Education Time & Tasks Log
Student Integrative Learning Contract Forms
- FAQs Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Blank Foundation Year Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Example of Completed Foundation Year Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Blank Micro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Blank Macro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
Student Field Evaluation Forms
- FAQs Student Field Evaluation
- Field Evaluation Checklist
- Field Education Checklist- Lakewood Only
- Field Evaluation Instructions
- Blank Foundation Year Student Evaluation
- Blank Micro Concentration Student Evaluation
- Blank Macro Concentration Student Evaluation
- Example of Completed Foundation Student Evaluation
MSW Licensure Exam Prep Information
Required Criminal Background Check - a BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks are available on UA campus -fingerprinting and background checks available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60. for both BCI & FBI.
OTHER FIELD FEEDBACK FORMS
Complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.
- Field Instructor Feedback on Faculty Liaison
- Field Instructor Feedback on Field Coordination
Field Liaison Feedback on Field Agency