Joint Master's Degree Program Overview- Lakewood Campus
Starting Spring 2013 semester-- the first cohort for the Joint Master of Social Work Program at The University of Akron Lakewood campus!
- The Lakewood cohort of the Joint MSW Program is new this year. Both Cleveland State University and The University of Akron will enroll 12 students each to complete the entire MSW program at the Lakewood site.
- The Lakewood Cohort is an intensive four-semester program that begins Spring 2013 semester and continues through Summer 2013, Fall 2013, and Spring 2014 semesters.
- This full-time program will meet two evenings a week for all four semesters.
- Students accepted into this first cohort must agree to attend all of their courses at the Lakewood site.
- Unlike other cohorts of the Joint MSW Program, the Lakewood Cohort classes will be taught in a traditional classroom format, with all 24 students and the instructor situated in the same classroom.
Considering continuing your education? Have your MSW by May 2014!
- When can I submit my application for admission? NOW- Applications are currently being accepted
- What is the admission deadline? Friday, December 7, 2012
- When will I receive notification of my admission status? By December 14, 2012
- How long will it take to process my admission paperwork? Paperwork will begin processing by December 17, 2012
- When do classes begin? Classes begin January 15, 2013
- Do I need to attend an orientation session? Yes. Both a program and field orientation have been scheduled for Thursday, January 10, 2013, 5-9 p.m. at the Lakewood Campus.
You will receive notification of this orientation upon acceptance into the program.
For additional information, please contact Professor Becky Thomas at email@example.com
Wondering about your field education experience?
Students may complete their field placements in the Lakewood area, or at agencies throughout the Akron area. See Field Education Tab on Left for Calendars, Schedules, and Overall Field Information
Location, location, location!
- The Lakewood site is located at 1415 Warren Rd in Lakewood, surrounded by shops, restaurants, and coffee houses. It’s an ideal location to take college courses!
- Parking is readily available, and the location is easily accessible via I-90 and route 2.
- The Lakewood library is two blocks away, and is designated as an OhioLink site. Books, articles, and other library materials can be ordered from the main campus and will be delivered to the Lakewood library.
"A wonderful opportunity for graduate social work education. The School of Social Work at both campuses have been working for over a year to make this cohort a reality. We certainly hope you consider this option if you are thinking of furthering your education." Dr. Timothy McCarragher, Ph.D., LISW-S, Director/Associate Professor
2013 MSW Application Information - Lakewood Campus
MSW Admission Guidelines
MSW Application Checklist
MSW Admissions Cover Letter
MSW Applicant Recommendation Form
Akron Graduate School Application (Deadline 12/7/12)
Application for A Graduate Assistantship (Please note: The School of Social Work does not require three additional references when applying for a graduate assistantship. Deadline 12/7/12)