Joint Master's Degree Program Overview- Lakewood Campus
- The Lakewood program is an intensive, four consecutive semester program that begins in the Spring semester and continues through Summer, Fall, and Spring semesters.
- This full-time program meet two evenings a week for all four consecutive semesters.
- Students must agree to attend all courses at the Lakewood campus.
- Unlike other cohorts of the Joint MSW Program, the Lakewood Cohort classes are taught in traditional classroom format, with all 24 students (12 students from CSU & 12 students from UA) and the instructor situated in the same classroom.
2015 MSW Application Information - Lakewood Campus -Process Closed
Please note an increase in graduate application fees: First time Domestic Applicants: $45.;
First time International Applicants: $70.; Reapplication: $45.
Application for a Graduate Assistantship (Please note: The School of Social Work does not require three additional references when applying for a graduate assistantship. Deadline 10/3/14)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- When can I submit my application for admission? Closed for Spring 2015
- What is the admission deadline for Spring 2015 Start Date?Closed
- When will I receive notification of my admission status? Letters were distributed the week of October 6, 2014- Please contact Social Work Office if you have not received your admission status.
- How long will it take to process my admission paperwork? All paperwork for this cohort has been processed Closed
- When do classes begin? Spring semester begins January 12, 2015
- Do I need to attend any orientation sessions? Yes, you will need to attend two orientations:
Field Orientation*- Thursday, October 23, 2014, 4:00 p.m. -6:00 p.m.
Orientation will occur on Lakewood Campus, Social Work Suite
*This orientation will assist students in learning the processes required to secure a field placement. It is recommended that students have their UA User Id and Password available in order to access the computers. This orientation is divided into two areas: Self-directed & Instructor-led.
Joint Program Orientation**- Thursday, January 8, 2015, 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Orientation will occur on Lakewood Campus, Refreshments will be provided.
**This orientation is divided into two areas: Learning about the Joint MSW Program and a walk-through of field documentation.
- What information can you provide about parking? - There is a parking lot behind The University of Akron Lakewood campus but it is not owned by the university.
The parking lot owner charges every car that enters the parking lot before 6:30pm. If you take a parking ticket when you enter the lot, you are required to pay when you leave.
This map highlights additional parking options for students. There are many metered parking options available in the area surrounding the university.
Parking meters are in effect Monday-Friday until 6pm and take quarters only. There are also many side streets around Lakewood that have un-metered street parking as an option.
- Wondering about your field education experience? Students may complete their field placements in the Lakewood area or at agencies throughout the Akron area.
- Who can I contact for additional assistance? Professor Becky Thomas, Lakewood Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-5682.
Location, location, location!
- The Lakewood site is located at 14725 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107, surrounded by shops, restaurants, and coffee houses. It’s an ideal location take college courses!
- Parking is readily available at 1415 Warren Road. This location is easily accessible via I-90 and Route 2.
- The Lakewood library is two blocks away and is designated as an OhioLink site. Books, articles, and other library materials can be ordered from the main campus and will be delivered to the Lakewood library.
"A wonderful opportunity for graduate social work education... We certainly hope you consider this option if you are thinking of furthering your education."
Timothy McCarragher, Ph.D., LISW-S,
School Director/Associate Professor