Nancy D. Harris, M.A.
Title: Clinical Supervisor & Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Department: Speech-Lang Path & Audiology
I joined The University of Akron School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology in the fall of 1999. Currently, I supervise graduate students in adult clinical experiences on and off campus. I also serve as the coordinator for undergraduate studies and an undergraduate academic advisor.
Background & Professional Experience
- Extended Care Facilities – Skilled and Long Term Care
- Acute Care Hospitals
- Adult Outpatient Facilities
- Dysarthria and apraxia (motor speech disorders)
- Cognitive-communication disorders
- Dysphagia-swallowing disorders
- Voice disorders
- Augmentative/alternative communication
- Medicare documentation/reimbursement
- Adult neurogenic diseases/disorders
- Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease
- Progressive degenerative diseases (Parkinson’s disease, ALS, MS)
- Respiratory failure
- Acquired/traumatic brain injury
Certifications/Areas of Specialized Training
- Credentialed Videofluoroscopic Swallowing Studies (x-ray swallow studies)
- Credentialing in process Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation for Swallowing (FEES)
- Certified – Lee Silverman Voice Therapy (LSVT)
- Certified – Comprehensive Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation (DPNS)
- Certified – Facial Muscle Exercise Program (FMEP)
- Registered Yoga Teacher – RYT-500, Yoga Alliance
- Certified Yoga Nidra – Yoga Academy of North America (YANA)
- Trained tracheostomy and ventilator dependent patients
- Trained Frazier Free Water Protocol
- Trained Allen Cognitive Levels (ACL)
- Trained reimbursement for speech generating devices (SGDs)
- Trained Wilson Reading Program
- Harris, Nancy (2011). Assessment and Intervention for Disordered Breathing Patterns. OSLHA Annual Convention. Columbus, OH.
- Harris, Nancy (2008). Functional Communication Programs for People with Dementia. 7th Annual Allen Symposium. Boston, MA.
- Harris, Nancy (2008). Comparison of Cognitive Tests. 7th Annual Allen Symposium. Boston, MA.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Ohio Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Holistic Medicine