More About Sport Studies
The Sport Studies major prepares you to work in:
- professional, collegiate and high school sport administration
- university-based recreational sport management
- community-based parks and recreation
- a multitude of opportunities in the sport and leisure industry
Sport Studies majors must choose an area of concentration in:
- sport management
- athletic coaching education
- Affords students the opportunity to pursue a variety of employment opportunities in the sport and recreation industry.
- The Sport Studies major also prepares students for graduate studies in sport management, sport behavior, sport science and coaching.
The Akron Advantage
The Department of Sport Science and Wellness Education offers a variety of resources for its students, including:
- state-of-the-art laboratory and equipment required for knowledge base learning
- opportunities to aid faculty in a variety of research projects
Real World Experience
- Required practicum experience for each student, minimum of 150 hours
- Service learning built into coursework
- Collaboration with professionals in the sport and recreation industry
Education Student Organizations
- Sport Management Coaching Education Club (SMCE)
- Exercise Science Club
Membership in a professional organizations will give you the opportunity to meet students and professionals from diverse backgrounds and build leadership and interpersonal skills. It can also help expand upon your classroom learning. Students are encouraged to actively participate in organizations related to their field of interest.