Tax information (Form 1098-T)
What is the 1098T form?
The 1098T form is used to assist you in determining if you are eligible for an Education Tax Credit. It is an annual statement that provides you with the amount of tuition charged on your account during the calendar year.
If you had qualified education expenses that were billed during the tax year, a 1098-T form should be mailed to you in the month of January for the prior tax year.
If grants and scholarships exceed the qualifying educational expenses for the same year, you will NOT receive a statement.
The University staff cannot provide tax advice. Tax questions should be referred to your tax advisor or refer to the IRS website.
If you misplaced your 1098-T form or have other questions, you can call the office or log in to My Akron to view and print the form.
Opt-In to receive your 1098T statement electronically
If you would like to receive your 1098T form electronically, please give your consent by following the link provided below and following the step by step instructions.
The benefits to receiving electronic notification are:
- Online delivery provides access to the form 1098T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
- Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098T will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
- Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
- Students can receive their 1098T form even while traveling or on assignment away from their home address.
Visit Heartland ECSI to sign up for electronic statements by entering your student ID (not SSN), Name, and Email Address (with the option to include an alternate email address). Check the box and click submit. It's that easy! Heartland ECSI's website is a secure website and Heartland ECSI will not share your private information with anyone.
If you have any questions, please visit Heartland ECSI Tax Info for information regarding your tax documents and to obtain contact information for Heartland ECSI.
Why didn't I receive a 1098-T form for the year?
You may not receive a 1098-T. A few of the reasons are:
- You had no eligible tuition charges billed during the year.
- Your grants and scholarships exceeded the "billed" eligible tuition charges for the year.
- You had adjustments (registration and or financial aid) from the prior year that offset the current year's billed charges.
- For additional information, please refer to the IRS rules.
- W2 wage and 1042-S tax statements are provided by the Payroll Office.
To reprint your 1098-T form
Log in to My Akron
- Click Student Center
- In the "Finances" section, click the dropdown box and select "View 1098-T"
- Click the "Go" button
- Select the tax year you want to view
- Turn off pop-up blockers.
- You may have to "Grant Consent" to view your 1098-T online.
- Your 1098-T information should appear for you to review or print.