Student Employee Appreciation Week
Our student employees contribute to the academic and extra-curricular aspects that make The University of Akron such an excellent community of higher education. The Office of Student Employment encourages campus departments to take time during National Student Employment Week (April 14-18, 2014) to let their student employees know how much their work is appreciated.
National Student Employment Week is a week designated to honor and recognize the contributions of all student employees of The University of Akron, acknowledging their efforts motivates, encourages, and thanks student employees while providing incentives for them to continue their efforts.
While budgets are tight a thank-you email or face-to-face compliment helps to show student employees how much their contributions are valued. Throw a pizza party, take your students out to lunch, decorate your office, bring cookies, send a thank you card etc….
Recognition for Student Employees
- Full time staff brings in treats/lunch for student workers.
- each day bring something different cookies, popcorn, candy, etc.
- post student employee pictures and list what wonderful things they do
- send a note to the families of your student workers.Let them know what the student does, how their work impacts your department, and how terrific the student is for your department
Buy low cost, blank certificates and make up silly awards for students: best telephone voice, best web surfer, etc.
- take cuttings from a plant in the office and give to each student as a live “connection” to the office.
- spray paint a light bulb gold, screw into a jar of play dough and make a label around the jar naming who is receiving the “Bright Idea” award.
Good Egg Award
- buy plastic Easter Eggs, fill with goodies and give out with “Good Egg” certificates.
- List what the student did to deserve this award.
Cookies, Cookies, Cookies
- Students love treats
Snack Goodie Bag
- Fill with small packs of crackers, cookies, candy and chips
- Crackers and Cheese, Spaghetti with Ready Made Sauce..
- Fill a bowl or individual mini bowls daily, inexpensive yet tasty.
- Have bowl of fresh fruit take out apples, plums, oranges etc.
- fast food, subway, pizza hut etc.
Certificates of Appreciation
- Make up certificates and have them framed. (you can find decent frames at the dollar store or office depot)
- Send your students a free Cyber Card stating your appreciation (see below).
Pat on the Back
- Draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper. Photocopy enough copies for all students in your office. On each hand write a note that tells the student why they deserve a “Pat on the Back”.
Use this week as an opportunity to start an award recognition program. Look around the office or at home for a white elephant item. Name the item for the award (Employee of the Month/Week, Great Idea Award, Gotcha Award
- Catch someone in the act of doing something good) and then make the first presentation of it during Student Employment Week.
Make a banner to hang for the whole week in your office.
Decorate an office bulletin board or the office door for the week in recognition of your students.
Invite to your home for dinner. There is nothing better than a home cooked meal for a student.
Use YOUR imagination.... A simple THANK YOU for all you do will go a long way!
Additional ideas include:
Throw a party! Could be: potluck lunch, pizza, ice cream, chip & dip, milk and cookies, dessert, breakfast, etc
Take your students out to lunch
Bring in cookies or other baked goods
Give them a gift certificate to a local restaurant or the Bookstore
Write each student a personalized note of thanks
Give flowers or balloons
Make a coupon booklet. Include coupons for free sodas, a 15 minute-late-to-work pass, a dozen homemade baked goods, etc
Buy them a gift with the University of Akron logo such as a sweatshirt, bumper sticker, etc
Create certificates of appreciation
Decorate your office
Put together care packages
Send a note of appreciation to the families of your student employees. Let them know
what the student does, how their work impacts your department, etc
Create a “Thank You” Poster/Card and have all the office staff sign it
Surprise students with small tokens of appreciation such as candy, cookies, or a treat bag.
Here is a sample list of mementos with a message:
- Extra Gum - Thanks for going the extra mile!
- Mint - You are a breath of fresh air to our office!
- Smartie - To remind you of the expertise you share with others!
- Life Saver - Thanks for being a real life saver!
- Starburst - You're a star!
- Fireball - Thanks for keeping us fired up!
- Nestle Crunch - Thanks for your help at crunch time!
- Gold chocolate coins - Student employees are worth their weight in gold!
- Andes mints/peppermint patties - Your service is worth a mint to us!
Have an In-Office Competition with prizes
- best smile
- best jokester
- most detail-oriented
- funkiest dresser
Let's show our student employees how much they are valued during National Student Employment Week.