Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study Program is a federally funded, campus-based aid program designed to provide part-time jobs for eligible students with financial need. Learn more

See Work Study jobs

Health Insurance Coverage Information

Frequently Asked Questions about Federal Work Study

How do I get a Federal Work Study position?

  1. Most of the positions are posted online first. Check the Federal Work Study listing
  2. Contact employers for interviews. Make sure you have your class schedule ready.
  3. Accept a job offer.
  4. Your employer will provide you with the form to fill out Note: other places you can pick up applications on campus: Bierce Library, Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Student Union, Residence Life & Housing (Ritchie Hall), Dining Services (Robertson Hall).
  5. Complete the paperwork.

What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study is a federally funded employment program for students with demonstrated need. If you have Federal Work Study eligibility (check your financial aid award letter), it increases your campus employment opportunities. The only real difference between work study and any other job is how the position is funded. Find more information online about how to apply for work study.

How do I know if I have been awarded Federal Work Study?

You will received a Financial Aid notification letter which will indicate whether or not you have been awarded Federal Work Study. If you are not sure if you received the letter, you can check MyAkron.

How does Federal Work Study benefit me?

Not only will you get paid every two weeks, but your earnings may help your financial aid "picture" for the following academic year. All earnings are considered when applying for financial aid. However, work study funds are removed from the equation when it comes time to determine your financial aid package. In a nutshell, your earnings "appear" to be less and thus you may qualify for more aid. Using your work study also allows you to apply for jobs that are not always available to all students. Some departments are only able to hire work study students. Getting these jobs as a freshman can be very beneficial.

So, my earnings get attached directly to my bill, right?

No. You will receive a check every two weeks for the amount of time you worked during the previous two weeks. It is up to you how you spend the money. You can apply it directly to your bill, or use it to pay for other items.

What happens if I don't use all my work study award?

Any unused work study funds revert back to the University. Funds also cannot be carried over from an academic year to the next term.

Since it's called 'work study', that means I get paid to study, right?

No. The term "work study" describes the nature of the program. Students have an opportunity to work so that they may continue their studies at the University.

Do I have to fill out an application to work?

Not to search for a job. Some employers may ask you to fill out a “screening” application if their application process is complex or they hire many students. There is no campus-wide application.

What else do I need to start working?

Once you secure a job, bring your social security card and a photo ID to campus. You will need both documents to complete the employment process, and you will not be permitted to work without them.

How can I benefit from working on-campus?

On campus employment will not only provide income. Working 10-15 hours a week will help you adjust more quickly to The University of Akron. You will meet other student employees, become acquainted with faculty and staff and learn how the university operates. Moreover, you will get a chance to develop important transferable skills, such as communication, time management etc,, which will help you secure a job after graduation. Students who work a few hours a week on campus actually do better academically than students who don’t work or work 20 hours or more.

How many credit hours should I enroll for each semester in order to work on-campus?

As a Federal Work Study student, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credits.

If I drop a class can I still work?

As a Federal Work Study student, you can work only if you are at or above 6 credits. Students who are not appropriately enrolled will have their employment terminated.

How many hours a week can I work?

You cannot exceed your award amount or work more than to 29 hours per week. Working more than 29 hours per week may result in termination of employment. Studies show that students who work 10-12 hours a week on campus actually do better academically than students who don’t work or who work 20 hours or more.

A notice will be mailed to you and your supervisor when you have less than $499 left to earn. It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not earn more than your Federal Work Study award. Check with your supervisor to see if it is possible to transfer you to the departmental budget. See Federal Work Study Calculation Worksheet for help.

Can I work more than one job on campus?

Yes, you can work more than one job on campus as long as you keep your total work hours on campus less than 29 hours a week and do not exceed your total award amount. Working more than 29 hours may result in termination of employment.

What about paychecks?

Students are paid every other Friday. It is recommended that you sign up for direct deposit. You can pick up your paycheck at the payroll office that’s located in the Administrative Services Building at 185 E. Mill Street.

What if I don’t want to work right away?

That’s okay. Jobs are posted throughout. However, the largest number and variety of jobs are available right before and during the first few weeks of fall semester.

If you haven’t secured a job by the end of the 5th week of classes of fall semester, your award will be canceled. If you wish to continue your job search or use a portion of award in spring, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid, at 330-972-8074 or 330-972-7201.

What if I want to work off-campus?

Check this listing of part-time employment opportunities for students off-campus. Your Federal Work Study award does not apply to these jobs.