Students who wish to start a new student organization must follow the procedures listed below.
Schedule a meeting with the Graduate Assistant, SOuRCe
- The intended President of a prospective new student organization must schedule a meeting with the Graduate Assistant, SOuRCe to discuss the new student group recognition process, and prepare the organization for recognition consideration. Due to the time required to complete the recognition process, those who do not submit all paperwork to the Graduate Assistant, SOuRCe by the end of October may not be recognized until the Spring semester and those who do not submit all paperwork by the end of March may not be recognized until the following fall semester.
- The Graduate Assistant, SOuRCe will review the recognition process with the organization’s representative and refer them to the SOuRCe website where they can find additional information regarding the New Student Organization Development Packet and complete the required documents.
Understand Preliminary Policies
All prospective student organizations should be aware that The University of Akron will not support the recognition of organizations that:
- Utilize behavior modification techniques, mind control techniques and similar forms of coercive behavior.
- Does not permit or limits free speech, self-criticism and the right to leave the organization without penalty.
- Impairs, makes captive or destroys an individual's freedom of thought through physical stress or subtle or covert techniques.
- Refuses to reveal and explain if requested, the organization's financial structure and support.
Many variables affect the speed of the review process including: timeliness of the organization submitting the required documents, attendance at required meetings, the organization's response to requests for constitutional revision, etc., and the number of review bodies involved in the recognition process.
New Student Organization Development Packet Documents:
The New Student Organization Development Packet consists of six documents. The Recognition Agreement, Terms and Conditions, and Cover Letter must be submitted in hard copy form complete with signatures. The Constitution must be submitted electronically as an attachment. The Charter Member Roster and New Group Registration form may be submitted to the Graduate Assistant, SOuRCe either in hard copy form or electronically. All documents being sent electronically should be sent to email@example.com who will then review the documents to assure that all requirements have been met.
Cover letterThis letter is written to the SOuRCe Graduate Assistant and must contain the President’s signature. It should also include:
- A synopsis of the organization's purpose.
- Statement of goals and objectives.
- Why the organization wants to be recognized.
- If the prospective organization has affiliation with a local, regional or national organization.
- A template to assist in preparing the group's constitution is available on-line in PDF format. All required sections denoted in red must be present in the constitution.
Charter Member Roster (.doc)
- Prospective organizations must complete the Charter Member Roster Form with a minimum of ten (10) currently enrolled, part-time or full-time University of Akron students, who are in Good Standing with the University. On this form must be the names and student identification numbers of all potential members so that we will be to verify the student's status.
Recognition Agreement (.doc)
- Prospective organizations must review the Recognition Agreement, providing the signature of both the president and campus advisor. By signing this document, the organization indicates that the organization president and Campus Advisor understand the policies and procedures outlined and agree to comply. Both the President and Campus Advisor must print their names and sign the agreement.
Terms and Conditions (.doc)
- Prospective organizations must review the Terms and Conditions, providing the signature of both the president and Campus Advisor. By signing this document, the organization indicates that the organization president and campus advisor understand the policies and procedures outlined and agree to comply. Both the president and Campus Advisor must print their names and sign the document.
New Group Registration Form (.doc)
- Upon official recognition by the University, annual registration is required and must be submitted to the Department of Student Life with other documents, as required.
- An organization that fails to register over a five year period is subject to the process of starting a new student organization.
- Registered organizations are required to submit a revised constitution as changes occur.
- All recognized student organizations must have a Campus Advisor. The Campus Advisor must be a full-time faculty member or a contract professional. A Campus Advisor’s eligibility and approval is determined by the Department of Student Life.
Click on the appropriate student organization type below for details.
Should you have any questions or need assistance, please contact our office staff at:
Fall and Spring Semester
Monday-Thursday: 8 am - 8 pm
Friday: 8 am - 5 pm
Monday-Friday: 8 am - 4:30 pm
1st Floor, Student Union Located in the Center for Service and Leadership: Room 137
Connect with Organizations...