Emergency Management and Homeland Security
Emergency Management and Homeland Security Fundamentals
Emergency management is the coordinated effort of highly trained professionals who respond quickly to all types of disasters to lessen the effects as much as possible on a community or its residents.
The University of Akron offers the only Bachelor of Science Degree in Emergency Management and Homeland Security of this type in the state of Ohio and one of only a few in the country. It is the only B.S. in Emergency Management and Homeland Security accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress.
- As a “Step-Up” degree, the program builds upon strong technical programs in:
- fire protection
- criminal justice
- community services
- environmental health and safety
- emergency medical services
- Core curriculum covers wide range of subjects, including:
- research methods and applications
- hazards prevention
- are nationally recognized in the fields of
- emergency management
- public administration
- fire protection
- hazardous materials
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
Service learning is incorporated into coursework and joint projects with emergency management agencies in Summit and Medina counties, as well as such nonprofit agencies as the American Red Cross.
You are encouraged to gain practical professional experience with an internship. Participation gives you firsthand, on-the-job training in your area of interest within the field of emergency management.
Emergency Management Student Organizations
Interact with other emergency management students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- International Emergency Management Student Association
- Fire Protection Society