Medical Assisting Technology
Medical Assisting Technology Fundamentals
Medical assistants perform a variety of administrative and clinical tasks for physicians, podiatrists, chiropractors, optometrists and other health specialists to ensure that the offices and clinics run smoothly.
- comprehensive curriculum includes courses in:
- anatomy and physiology
- medical terminology
- medical records
- first aid
- administrative courses in typing, accounting, office skills and human relations
- are innovative and interactive
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
You will gain clinical skills in the Medical Assisting Laboratory.
You also will spend part of your last semester in an externship - working 10 to 15 hours a week as a medical assistant in a physician’s office for academic credit.
Degrees and Preparation
A medical assisting technology degree prepares you for the varied tasks required of a medical assistant, such as:
- update and file medical information
- arrange for hospital stays and laboratory services
- handle billing and bookkeeping
- record vital signs
- obtain medical histories of patients
- explain treatments and assist physicians during examinations
- collect and prepare laboratory specimens
- handle basic laboratory testing on the premises
- sterilize medical equipment
- instruct patients on medications and special diets
- prepare and administer medications
- draw blood
- take electrocardiograms
- remove sutures and change dressings
Medical assistants most often work in:
- physicians’ medical doctors
- inpatient and outpatient facilities.
- nursing homes
The medical assistance field is expected to be one of the fastest-growing occupations, spurred by a growing population, technological advances in medicine and increased health care services.
The Career Center creates links among students, alumni and local professionals. You will have access to:
- Career Resource Library
- co-op/internships through Career Advantage Network
- computer stations for resume writing and employment research
- UA Career Fairs